Chapter Ten

Detention came for the six first years, but it seems that they were not the only ones to serve the detention at this time of night. Standing beside Filch with his hands tucked in his pants' pockets was Theodore Nott, who had a look as if he did not care that he was serving detention.

"What are you doing here?!" Roman, Carina, and Malfoy exclaimed.

"Filch caught me taking a midnight stroll to the kitchen... told Professor Snape about it – he wasn't too pleased to cost Slytherin points again, especially with the forty points we've lost because of you two." Theodore shrugged.

"Enough talk, follow me." Filch led them out of the castle and to the familiar path of the Hagrid's hut. "A pity they let the old punishments die. Was a time detention found you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons? I miss the screaming."

"Would rather have that than spend the night at the bloody forest." Theodore muttered.

Carina and Roman turned to him with a bewildered look.

"Are you mad or something?!" Carina said in a whisper.

"Aren't we all?" Theodore muttered.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight." Filch said. "He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest. A sorry lot, this is, Hagrid."

Hagrid made a sniffing sound.

"Good Gods, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?"

"Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony." Hagrid hiccupped.

"That's good, isn't it? He's with his own kind." Hermione spoke.

"But what if he don't like Romania? Wha'dif the other dragons are mean ter 'im? He's on'y a baby." Hagrid said.

"You'd be surprised at how dragons could easily adapt in their surroundings – even if they're a baby." Theodore spoke, with a tone of boredom. He even yawned at the end.

"How do you know?" Carina said.

"Common knowledge... oh, sorry, you don't know." Theodore smirked.

"Shut up." Carina rolled her eyes.

"For God's sake, pull yourself together. You're going into the Forest. Got to have your wits about you" Filch said.

"The Forest? I thought that was a joke? We can't go in there! Student's aren't allowed, and there are... werewolves!" Malfoy said.

"I'm pretty sure that's a warg, Malfoy. You know, giant wolves – bigger than Hagrid." Roman said. "I don't think there are werewolves at Hogwarts."

"There's more than werewolves and wargs in those trees. Nighty night." Filch left them.

"Right, let's go." Hagrid said.

Carrying two lamps with them, the seven first years followed Hagrid. The whole way, Theodore trailed at the back with Roman, Malfoy tried to keep close to the front, while the four Gryffindors stuck together. They stopped when Hagrid did and bent down to where he stuck his fingers to what seems to be a puddle of silver.

"What's that?" Carina asked.

"What we're here for... see that? That's unicorn blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been hurt badly by something. So, it's our job to find the poor beast... Ron, Hermione, you come with me... Roman, Nott, Carina, you'll be together, Harry, you'll go with Malfoy."