Chapter Nineteen

The next few days, laughter, running and shouts echoes in the halls as Carina and Roman's antics began. They made a promise to do as much as they can now since Roman would be trying out for the Quidditch team, meaning he will be busy with practice every now and then. It was a slow start for them this term, unlike last year where they got detention the very first week, but to make up for the lost time, they made their first one – or the welcome-back-greetings – big enough to remember. There were small explosions in the halls – small fireworks – that woke Lockhart from his slumber and having him dancing when he got down stairs. That prank was more of Roman's revenge on Lockhart, as he saw the man trying to correct McGonagall on something, and he saw his great-aunt's annoyed look. He couldn't bear to see the witch with such a face! So, with Carina's fireworks, they set it as an alarm clock for their "Professor". Following that little fiasco, was scaring Malfoy with Lynx by having the cat chase him around the castle, while Roman and Carina watched from afar. Eventually, they were both caught by McGonagall and Filch.

"And just as I thought we won't be losing points this year, Miss Black." McGonagall sighed. "And just as I thought I won't be sending another letter to your father, Roman."

"Sorry, Auntie Minnie." Roman tried to pull his cute-nephew eyes, but it did not work. They were given detention for cleaning the trophies.

When the weekend came, Carina wanted to spend her day sleeping but was suddenly woken by Hermione early in the morning. Telling her that today was the Gryffindor team's first day of practice and they should be there to support Harry. After getting dressed, Carina – still half-asleep – walked with Hermione and Ron to the Quidditch Pitch and found an odd sight of red Gryffindor uniforms and green Slytherins. As they approached, she saw the familiar hair of Roman, standing with the Slytherins, just beside Adrian Pucey. She was about to congratulate him on getting in the team, but then saw the tension between the two Houses.

"— I, Severus Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today to train with their new Seeker and Beater –" Wood read the note given to him by Flint. "You have a new Seeker and Beater. Who?"

They Slytherins parted ways and revealed Malfoy. Roman tried to stick at the side, trying to hide from everyone. He had no power now, he can't fight Flint – even when the older boy was wrong – because of a deal they made, and because he was the Team Captain. He sent an apologetic look at Harry's way when he too was seen.

"Malfoy?" Harry sneered.

"That's right, and that's not the only thing that's new this year." Malfoy then showed their broom.

"Those are all new Nimbus Two-Thousand-and-One!" Ron gasped.

"A gift from Draco's father." Flint said.

"See, Weasley, my father can afford the best." Malfoy smirked.

"At least no one at the Gryffindor Team had to buy their way in, they got in by pure talent." Hermione spoke.

"Nobody asked for your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood." Malfoy sneered at Hermione.

Everyone gasped at Malfoy, Carina was about to get her wand and cast a spell on him, but Roman went to her side – as per Flint's command – and stopped her.

"Don't." He said.

"What are you doing, Roman? That twat called Hermione a – a – " Carina glared at him.

"I know, but we can deal with this later, but not now. Not when I'm wearing this." Roman pleaded.

Carina pulled her hand away from Roman and stepped back. "You can't be serious! You're really not going to defend your friend – Hermione?!"