Chapter Four

Carina found herself entertained by Hermione's excitement to learn. After waking up early, she found herself conversing with Hermione who started said conversation by saying, "Did you know that there are over a hundred and forty-two staircases in Hogwarts," it was clear that the girl was excited. But it wasn't the girl's facts that got her entertained, but rather how she spoke out her thoughts, and how curious she was about the Wizarding World.

"I'm sorry, I'm probably boring you." Hermione said.

"Not at all." Carina said.

They were both headed to their first class, History of Magic.

"Besides, better make the best of this interactive conversation because I heard Professor Bins dead-boring." Carina groaned.

"He can't be that bad." Hermione tried to defend the teacher.

"No, seriously, he's dead and boring. He's a ghost."

And just as they entered the classroom, Carina gestured to the floating ghost at the front of the room. Hermione's eyes widened in shock at the sight of their dead professor.

"I heard he actually died while teaching – didn't know until one of his students told him." Carina whispered to Hermione. "Caused quite a scandal – especially when he was allowed to stay as a professor."

"He died while teaching?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, in this very room." Carina grinned. "Come on, I want to sit at the front to get a better look at him!"

After History of Magic, which Carina spent her time doodling on her parchment, the next class they went to was Charms. The aura that the class at Charms was different from History of Magic, first of all, the teacher was Professor Flitwick, a tiny wizard, who had to stand on a stack of books to see over his desk; and second, the professor was alive. Their first lesson was to cast a simple spell to produce light, "Lumos". Wherein almost everyone managed to do splendidly.

When it came to Transfiguration, Professor McGonagall was totally different from the rest. Professor McGonagall was strict and clever, and the moment they all sat down, she gave them a good talking-to. And the whole time, while most of the students were intimidated or had a look of respect for the witch, Roman had a huge grin as he looked at their Professor, causing Theodore – who sat beside him – to be confused. But aside from that stern lecture, Professor McGonagall knew how to gain the interests of her students (except for Roman who already looked interested the moment he saw her) as she transfigured her desk into a pig and back again. And just as everyone thought that that was their first task, the witch start taking notes. And just as they all silently groaned at the load they were to copy from the board, Professor McGonagall transformed into a cat and settled on the table, once again gaining praise from the students. And for Carina, admiration.

The sound of the door opening caught some of the students' attention, especially when the voice they heard was of Ron Weasley. Raising her head to see the tardy boys, she silently prayed for them as they were about to face Professor McGonagall's wrath.

"Made it!" Ron panted. "Can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?"

Carina's eyes widened at Ron's comment, that she shared glances at Roman, who sat at the table beside hers and Hermione's. He too had the same look like hers. And just on cue, Professor McGonagall jumped from her desk and transformed back to human and stood facing the two boys, who had gapping looks.