Chapter Forty-Three

When the weekend came, Harry found himself in the company of Neville by the Black Lake. It wasn't that he didn't like the boy's company, he just preferred the company of his close friends. He buried his head in the pages of Neville's book of Magical Water Plants of the Highlands Lochs, forcing himself to be interested in the material.

"Didn't know you're interested in magical plants, Harry."

Harry looked up and saw Roman walking towards his place. Roman sighed and sat down beside Harry.

"I don't," Harry said, "It's Neville's."

"Huh," Roman turned his attention to Neville, who was busy with – what he suspects – magical water plants.

"Moody gave it to him," Harry added.

"Maybe it's the man's way to apologize for what happened last time in class," Roman said.

"Maybe," Harry shrugged. "So, where's Carina?"

"With Theodore. He's teaching her to play the harp."

"Oh... was it boring?" Harry asked, "Is that why you left them?"

"Nah – just wanted some fresh air," Roman sighed. "It's really stuffy inside – with Durmstrang and Beauxbaton adding to the mix... can't quite find a spot to think – or breathe."

"You know, Carina and Nott have been spending more time together."

"Aye," Roman then leaned back on the tree with his arms behind his head, "After three years of trying to get them together, I think I did more than that."

"What are you saying?" Harry turned to Roman with furrowed brows.

Roman shrugged, "Oh, come on, it's obvious – well, obvious to me."

"Are you suggesting that they like each other?"

"And they're too stubborn to admit it – sometimes I just want to lock them up in a broom closet, seriously, seeing them together makes me think how lonely and single I am – and they're not even together!" Roman joked.

Harry wasn't sure if Roman's words were a joke, but it felt deeper than that. It was as if the boy he knew to always have a smile, who always put his friends first before himself, was hiding something behind his perfect teeth. The sound of Roman calling for someone pulled Harry from his reverie, following his friend's eyes, he saw Roman grinning at Morgan Diggory's way. Morgan was in the company of his brother at the time and timidly waved back at Roman. Another branching out of friends he noticed – Roman too was spending more and more alone time with Morgan Diggory, he and Ron would always find him with the Hufflepuff during Divination and other classes. Together. Alone and single, Harry thought over Roman's words. Could he possibly be talking about romantic relationships earlier? But Roman never really showed any interest in dating anyone – he wasn't the type to flirt with anyone intentionally. Or was he? He could never really see if Roman was actually flirting with other people since they seem to be drawn to him easily. He is handsome – as what he heard from other girls.

"So, how's the whole Animagus thing going on?" Harry asked, trying to change the subject of Roman's single-life.

"Good," Roman shrugged, "We're just waiting for a lightning storm so we can drink the potion."

From where Roman came from, Harry saw Hermione, Ron and Ginny come towards them, they were whispering about something – arguing – until Hermione reluctantly walked up to Harry with a distraught look on her face. Harry and Roman got up from their place and waited for Hermione to say what she was supposed to say.