Chapter Thirty-Five

The last thing Carina remembered was the dementors swarming them, Harry trying to fend them off, and her father dying at the hands of those dark creatures. So, it was a shock to her to find herself in the Hospital Wing being shaken by Hermione to consciousness, and continuously calling her name. She closed her eyes for a minute to stop the swaying vision that was building up a headache, and when she finally sat up, she forgot her headache and remembered what happened earlier.

"Where is he? Where's Sirius? Where's my father?" Carina asked frantically.

Hermione pursed her lips, "They've captured Sirius –"

"Captured him?" Carina looked around the room, she saw Ron on his own bed with his leg bandaged, and then Harry, who just got up himself.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry asked.

"Listen, you two," Hermione went to the space between their beds, "They have captured Sirius, and any minute now, they will perform the Kiss on him."

"We have to save him!" Harry jumped out of bed.

"Then let's go – where are they keeping him?" Carina asked.

Just as Carina got out of bed, the doors burst open and came in Dumbledore.

"Professor! You've got to stop them!" Carina begged. "Please, you've got the wrong man! Siri – my father is innocent!"

"It's true, Sir! Sirius is innocent!" Harry added.

"It's Scabbers who did it!" Ron said.

Dumbledore turned to the boy with a confused look, "Scabbers?"

"My rat, Sir – only he's not really a rat – well, he was a rat –"

"The point it!" Hermione cut him off, "We know the truth. Please, Sir you must believe us!"

"I do, Miss Granger. But I'm sorry to say the word of four thirteen-year-old wizards will convince few others... a child's voice however honest and true, is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen..." Dumbledore explained. "Ah... a shooting star... if ever one was to make a wish now would the time. But time I'm afraid, is precisely our problem..." the midnight bell began to chime. "Mysterious thing, time. Powerful. And, when meddled with, dangerous." Dumbledore turned to Hermione, his glasses twinkling in the moonlight. "Sirius Black is in the topmost cell in the Dark Tower. You know the laws, Miss Granger, you must not be seen. And you would – I feel – do well to return before this last chime. If not, well the consequences are really too ghastly to discuss... three turns should do it, I think. If you succeed, more than one innocent life may be spared tonight," Dumbledore handed Harry, Hermione, and Carina a stick of chocolate, then went to the door, he stopped. "By the way, when in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be wise place to begin... good luck." He smiled, and they finally left with the doors closed.

Harry and Carina shared a confused look, they both turned to their chocolates.

"What the bloody hell was that about?" Ron asked.

None of them replied, and just as Carina was to ask the same question as well, Hermione got out a long chain and placed it around Harry and Carina's neck, as well as her own.

"Sorry, Ron, but you can't walk," Hermione said.

Hermione held a pendant between her fingers. Harry reached to touch the pendant, but his hand was smacked away by Hermione. She pressed the pendant thrice, and the loops that surrounded the hourglass turned thrice as well. Then time reversed in a dizzying blur. It showed the occurrences in the Hospital Wing in reverse as the sun un-sets, returning to its place low on the horizon. The time reversal ends with the room is empty, except for Harry, Hermione and Carina. As Hermione unhooked the necklace, Harry and Carina glanced at each other in confusion.