Chapter Twenty-Seven

When morning came, Carina dragged herself through the dorm to just get ready. Just as she thought she would finally get a good night's sleep once she arrives in Hogwarts, she was plagued by nightmares of Dementors, Sirius Black, and the screaming woman instead. She woke up in the middle of the night after a dream shot her awake – it was of Black – and since that time, she stayed up awake until she fell asleep at around four in the morning, only to be awoken by an alarm at around six for breakfast. She tried her best to make it look like she was fine, especially with Hermione present, but knowing her friend, she would notice something was wrong the moment she sees the dark bags under Carina's eyes. Maybe she should ask Maisie for that glamor charm to hide her sleep-deprived look.

And just as she thought her first day would not get any worse, as she and her friends went to the Great Hall for breakfast, Malfoy, his goons, and Pansy Parkinson could be heard from all the way from the Slytherin table, entertaining their fellow Slytherins of a funny story. The tale of her and Harry fainting on the train. Carina was not in the mood to confront Malfoy and tried to ignore him, but it was hard when her cousin's screeching voice echoed in the Hall.

"Ignore them." Hermione told her and Harry. "Ignore them. it's not worth it."

"I suggest putting a leash on us, then, Hermione." Carina retorted. Clearly annoyed.

"Oi, Black! There are a couple of Dementors looking for you!" Parkinson called out.

Having enough, Carina waved her wand – ignoring Hermione and Harry's attempt at stopping her – and cast a spell that had Parkinson's breakfast exploded and splattered all over her face and Malfoy's. Everyone in Slytherin fell silent but for Roman and Theodore, who were snickering when they passed by Malfoy.

"You'll be sorry, Black!" Malfoy yelled.

"No, I'm not!" Carina called out as she casually sat down at her seat.

"You'll get detention for that," Hermione pointed out.

"Since when didn't she get detention – it'd be a miracle if she and Roman didn't get detention in one school-term!" Ron snickered.

"Besides, I see it as setting a new school record, Mione." Carina snickered.

In the middle of breakfast, George and Fred sat by their group, grinning as they did, and their eyes at Carina.

"Starting the year with a bang, I see," George mused.

"We better step our game, George, or the young ones would take over," said Fred.

"Not to worry, lads, I'm not after your crowns. I'm simply a vigilante, fighting for justice." Carina joked.

"And justice being making Malfoy's breakfast explode?" George chuckled.

"I learned from the best," Carina bowed at the twins.

George and Fred had their hands on their hearts and smiled.

"Our little Carina is all grown up Fred," George wiped a fake tear.

"It was like yesterday she was helping us set fireworks at Percy's room," Fred joined in.

"We're proud of you, child," George patted Carina's head.

Harry and Ron snickered at the twin's antics but their smiles fell when George placed their schedules before them. Carina too frowned at the sight.

"New third-year schedules," George said. "Have a nice term."

"And don't worry about Malfoy, if he tries anything again, tell him this – that he ran into our compartment when the Dementors came to the train," Fred winked at Carina's way.