Chapter Six

The following morning, Carina wasted no time in looking for Roman. The moment she found him climbing up the stairs from the dungeons with Theodore, she grabbed him by the hand and dragged him to the Gryffindor table, earning a displeased sound from Theodore. Upon sitting down, Harry and Carina told Roman about the three-headed dog at the third floor, and the door is guarded. But then, Harry started telling them about the mysterious package that was moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts.

"It has to be something valuable or deadly." Ron guessed.

"Or both." Harry said.

"Huh, always knew Hogwarts had secrets – what do you think it is?" Roman asked.

"Pandora's box?" Carina suggested.

"It can't be, the object that I saw was... small – too small to be a box." Harry shook his head.

"Black Pearls?" Roman suggested.

"What's so dangerous about Black Pearls?" Harry's brows furrowed in confusion.

"The Chinese believed it to be carrying wisdom. But in my ancient times, it was just a symbol of wealth." Roman shrugged.

"Wait, don't you mean Ancient 'Rome'?" Harry asked.

"Aye, and that's me." Roman grinned cheekily.

Carina groaned and hit her forehead on the table.

"Well, I better head back to my House – I swear I could feel Malfoy's glare all the way here – probably calling me a blood-traitor now." Roman got up from the table. "I'll you all later."

"Are they still giving you a hard time?" Carina turned to him. There was a slight redness on her forehead.

Roman chuckled at the sight of it.

"Nothing I can't handle." Roman shrugged. "Besides, I believe that that is your mail coming. Brace yourselves."

And just as Roman said, owls came swooping down at the Hall, dropping letters and parcels for the students. Roman even caught his while he was on his way back to the Slytherin table. It was a letter from home with some Mars chocolate bars he asked his Mum to send him. Not long, Carina too caught a parcel and a few letters from home. And then there was the large one that was dropped before them, startling everyone at the table. It was Hedwig that brought it.

Reaching for the letter, Harry read the content and could not stop smiling. Carina did not need to know who it was from and what it was, turning her gaze to the high table, she could see Professor McGonagall smiling as she watched Harry from afar.

"And who said McGonagall didn't have any favorites?" Carina whispered to Harry.

Pulling the string of the parcel, Carina slowly opened the box and found two cupcakes with two words spelled on each: Miss You! Grinning, Carina opened the accompanying letter and found a small photo of Maisie and Tonks making the cupcakes, they waved at her as they did, both covered in flour. She couldn't help but feel a sudden wave of sadness wash over her. She missed Maisie, and she felt guilty of only sending five letters for the past few weeks she's been at Hogwarts when she promised she'd write every minute of every day.

"Miss you too, Blondie." Carina whispered. She took a cupcake and had a bite. It tasted like home.

~*~

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation..."

Sitting beside Harry, Carina played with her wand as Professor Flitwick explained a lesson she already knew. Since the beginning of the term – since she and Roman made a little pact of mischief – she started studying spells, not for academic use but for mischievous use. She made sure to see spells that would be interesting and useful for their antics, especially with Malfoy, and she has managed to learn and practice this spell just the other night.