Chapter Thirty-Three

It seems that Carina was not the only one that received a gift from the tree during Christmas, as Harry received a gift from a mysterious person, a Firebolt, and like her, Hermione told McGonagall of the gift and had the broom taken to be inspected if it bore dark magic. And that did not sit so well with Ron and Harry, as the broom was a Firebolt! The fastest broom there was, and Harry needed that to win against Ravenclaw in the Quidditch match.

For the remaining days of the holidays, Carina would often be found spending time with Theodore, which confused Harry and the others as "since when did they become friends?!" Ron would ask. When the holidays were coming to an end, Roman came back a few days earlier than planned, and the first thing he did when he came back, he was far from normal as he looked distracted and pale. Normally, Roman would come running towards them from a long holiday and jump them like a rabbit, but instead, he was quiet and almost missed them when they came to welcome him back. They tried to talk to him about it, but Roman would just change the subject, so Carina and Theodore thought of letting Roman tell them when he was ready, and simply talked about what they did while he was away since Roman preferred to hear their stories than talking about his.

"I'm not allowed to leave the castle without an escort of a Professor or an Auror – Harry as well," Carina told them. "So, expect me being stuck here for the rest of the term."

"Please, like the rules chained you long enough, I'm pretty sure come next week you're running around the open fields," Theodore smirked.

"But what I don't understand is the ring," Roman began. "You said that your uncle told you that your mother and Black never married, then why did is she registered as Emmanuelle Black now?"

"I don't know," Carina shrugged. "It's all a mystery to me... I'm actually more concerned that Sirius Black managed to send a gift to me and Harry, how did he do it? With Dementors and Aurors posted outside."

"It's obvious that Black is no longer affected by the Dementors, so it's no surprised that he's slipped them, and Dementors are far more effective than Aurors, why do you think the Ministry had those things guard Azkaban?" Theodore muttered. "Or, there is a possibility that someone might be helping him... someone from the inside."

"Who would help Black?" Carina asked.

"A madman, that's what," Theodore sighed.

Later that day, Carina, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Roman received an invitation from Hagrid, asking them to see him, and he specifically told them that he would pick them up at the entrance as they were not allowed to leave the castle without an escort. They went to the Black Lake where Hagrid brought up his pants to take a dip in the water and skip rocks. Roman was happy enough to find Larry the Giant Squid creeping to the edge of the lake to see him, and Carina joined him in tickling the giant squid. As they sat there, a pigeon landed just beside Ron, and croaked at him before flying away.

"Did you just hear that? That bird just croaked!" Ron pointed at the flying bird.

Carina and Roman shared a look and pursed their lips to stop their laughter.

"How'd it go, Hagrid?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, Buckbeak liked London," Hagrid said.

"I think she meant the hearing," Roman chuckled.

"Oh that. Well, I got up an' said my bit – you know, how Buckbeak was a good Hippogriff an' as longa s yeh treated 'im with respect, he'd treat you the same... then Lucius Malfoy got up an' said his bit – you, how Buckbeak was a deadly dangerous beast that no teacher in their righ' mind would expose their students to..." Hagrid trailed off.