Chapter Eight

The Holidays were fast approaching and four Gryffindors have checked every dust-collecting book there was in the library about this mysterious Nicolas Flamel. Roman would tag along with their search, and volunteer to carry the heavy books ("Quidditch training, never too early to build these muscles" Roman cheekily grinned), and even returning them to shelves that were too tall for them to reach. But like the passing days of October and November, the holidays came and there was no more time for them to search the library with Hermione, Carina, and Roman heading back home for the holidays.

"You promise to check the library even at the Holidays, yeah?" Carina told Harry and Ron.

"We promise." Harry said.

"Oh, and are you sure it's safe to ask your parents?" Ron asked the three.

"Very sure. My parents are dentists, they won't suspect anything." Hermione turned to Carina.

"Aunt Charity has a whole collection of books at home, she'd just brush it off. Probably think I got it from class or something..." Carina said.

"And your Uncle?" Harry asked.

"Might be tricky since he's an Auror and is assigned with the whole Gringotts fiasco – well, that's what Maisie told me."

They turned to Roman. Hoping he could have a much more dependable source that would not raise suspicion.

"Mum's a Professor at a University, I'm pretty sure she would know," Roman said with a matter-a-fact tone. "Dad's an Auror too – might not be a good idea."

A week turned to days, and the days turned to the morning to come. After packing their things for the holidays, Carina and Hermione climbed out of Gryffindor Tower with their trunks. They met with Roman on the way to the Great Hall, and Theodore who trailed after him but had brooding look at his face. He did not even acknowledge Carina with a witty comment – which caught her off guard.

"What's with him?" Carina asked Roman.

Roman shrugged. "He's been like that since he got a letter from his father. I try not to ask too much – the last time I did, he kind of snapped at me."

They came to the Great Hall there was only a handful of students present – an odd sight for the Hall. At the corner was a large tree that Hagrid brought, with Professor Flitwick trying to place the ornaments but Peeves would keep on throwing the Christmas Ball at the poor wizard. The Poltergeist then found Carina and Roman heading towards where Harry and Ron sat and was about to fly to their side for a little "holiday present", but before he could even come close, Carina and Roman waved their wands, and a few Christmas balls attacked the poltergeist until it flew away.

"How'd you manage to do that?" Hermione asked.

"It took us months to find the spell to repel Peeves." Carina sighed. "Months at the library."

"I have to say, that is probably the greatest achievement we ever made by this month." Roman chuckled.

They came to Harry and Ron's side, and just in time, Harry has moved his Knight. Roman smiled at the sight of the game, he too played Wizards Chess, and he would say that he was good at it.

"Queen to E-5." Ron said.

And just as his Queen to the square, but before it could take its place, it got out of its chair and smashed the Knight into pieces.