Chapter Sixteen

The moment Carina emerged in Diagon Alley, just by the grate of Gringotts, the first thing she saw was a pair of brown eyes looking back at her from across of the grates they arrived on. She was silent for a time and unmoving, but then remembered one of the reminders when using Floo, "get out of the way. Immediately." Jumping out, Carina still wide eye when she realized who it was standing before her. He was tall, lean, a head full of black hair neatly brushed to the side, and wore high-status clothing.

"Nott?" Carina said.

"Black." He greeted.

"Hey, Carina, look who I found!" Roman spoke, approaching them, he grabbed Theodore by the shoulder and brought him to a side hug. "We weren't expecting you here, Theodore! We missed you!"

"We?" Carina raised a brow. "I didn't miss him."

"You and me both." Theodore pushed Roman away and then said in a harsh whisper. "You know that I'm not allowed to be seen with anyone."

Infuriated, Carina marched up to Theodore, glaring up at him as he was slightly taller.

"I still can't believe Roman still thinks of you as his friend even when you're so embarrassed to be seen with him." Carina sneered.

"Carina, it's not like that." Roman tried to reason. "It's his –"

Theodore held up his hand to stop Roman. He didn't need someone reasoning for him, and he did not need to explain his reasons as well.

"If you have a problem with it, Black, then I suggest you keep it to yourself. You don't see me complaining anything about you." Theodore said in a low tone. Clearly showing his dominance and control in the situation.

"Theodore."

A deep voice caught their attention. The three children saw a tall man with graying black hair, deep brown eyes that were almost black, a beard that covered up to his square jaw, and wore noble wizarding robes. He approached the three children and grabbed Theodore by his arm. Carina noticed Theodore wince with the man's grip, but tried to hide it by glaring at him.

"Do not associate yourselves with these people. Let's go." The man growled.

"Yes, Father." Theodore shrugged his arm out of his father's hold and followed the man through the cobbled streets of Diagon Alley. He made one last look at Roman and Carina before disappearing into the crowd.

"That's Nott's father?" Carina said in a whisper.

"Aye. Now, do you understand why he can't be seen with us?" Roman said. "His father's one of those pureblood fanatics."

Carina said nothing and simply stared where the Notts left. To their surprise, Maisie, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley appeared from the grates, with Ginny and Ron, and then Percy. Where was Harry?

"Hello, Carina, have you seen Harry? He had a bit of a stutter when he used the Floo." Mr. Weasley said.

"No, we don't." Carina shook her head.

"He hasn't appeared." Roman said.

"Oh, dear." Mrs. Weasley said. "We should look for him, Arthur – the next thing we know he could be at Knockturn Alley!"

"We'll look for him there!" Carina and Roman offered, grinning as they did.

"You will certainly not." Mrs. Weasley said. "Knockturn Alley is no place for children like you – it's dangerous there!"