Chapter 1- A sudden death

"Shit!" I said to myself between my teeth.

I was full of curses and bad words. The only thing keeping me going besides the extensive amount of frustration and hatred emanating from my body.

The work had been piling up so much; it had become hard for me to even know which task to prioritize. Of course, all my projects had to launch at the end of this month, as usual.

Free time? I do not need free time, according to my beloved management. If only I could tell them to go screw each other, instead of giving me impossible tasks... But since living only on air did not agree with my person, I kept my mouth shut.

Besides, the year-end review was around the corner, and I was counting on a well-deserved promotion and that sweet bonus paycheck. Just imagining what I could do with that much money was enough to tone down my temper and make me a more agreeable person.

Finally, I would have enough money to buy a house! Yay to me!

Only a little more time. Just a tiny bit more.

Today, like any other day, I had stayed back at the office until the gentle sunset turned into a clouded night, expecting to at least move forward enough so I could get some good night's sleep. A luxury I hadn't been able to afford lately.

Unfortunately, my body did not cooperate and, feeling tired and hungry, it begged me to take this torturous chore home, where I would be fed and comfy.

Also, the office at night was spooky, and there was really no need to work in such conditions.

I put my stuff in my backpack, left the building and ran to my car in the empty parking lot, trying to not shiver from the frosty night. In the car, however, I realized I had forgotten some important papers in the office that I would need to finish my work for the day.

As I cursed to the chilly wind, I ran back to fetch those dammed papers. In the hopes it would help me face the cold, I sought in my mind all the relaxing things I would do at the end of the night. A glass of wine, a bubble bath, and some reading. Today I would finally finish the book that had filled my most recent evenings.

"A Duchess love."

A silly and fantastical novel for sure, but it was a guilty pleasure of mine, and a means to get away from this grey world... Only a few more chapters to go and I would know the end.

The excitement over such a perfect end for the day pushed me forward with extra energy. Unfortunately, I had gotten too distracted by those thoughts. I didn't notice the light poles swinging dangerously around me.

Not until it was too late for me to run away to safety.

And there it was... the end of my first life.

By a fucking light pole...

New revision (2022/10/20)

This chapter has been edited to improve its readability. Please comment for improvements (Quality is continuous work!)

Author's note:

What did you think of this part?

Be free to comment with feedback, or just to discuss the plot!😊

----//------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!