Chapter 80- A Golden End

I was drowning in light, unable to see, to hear, or to feel. Then the light died out, leaving me dazed.

I could now hear the distant cries of joy.

"We can see!" the voices, small and clunky, clamoured.

My vision had yet to return, but I knew those were the voices of the boys who had been left out in the corner, lethargic and blind. Little by little, I tried to open my eyes, rubbing them to speed the process. When I finally opened them, I was greeted by a scene I could not quite explain.

The circle was blazing, although it did not hurt me. The prayers had stopped, and the priests had disappeared in a cloud of ashes. Yet the blessed circle did not quiet down as light continued to erupt from its carved letters. The Empress had not disappeared, but she was lying down motionless, while Cedric remained chained. However, this time, there was no pain on his face, only bliss.

Away from the circle, the children were the only ones causing any noise. A happy melody of cries as their eyes regained their original colour and vision. And with that, their sense of self. They hugged each other while they called upon the goddess.

"No... This is not possible..." the Empress's voice was weak. Her face was still lying against the glowing floor.

In my confused state, I tried to find my musket around before she could rise from the ground and attack me. However, the light coming out of the blessed letters was making it hard to see.

Her fingers clawed the ground, causing a screeching sound that made my ears bleed. Covering them, I continued my search, using my feet to feel the floor and find my things, while the Empress raised herself.

A loud bang took my attention away. The ground shook, and I fell, only to hear a loud growl coming from the entrance doors. Or where they were supposed to be. As when I lifted my chin, I saw only a hole carved on the walls and a big, very angry, wolf appearing from it. Massive and covered in wounds, Wolff was strolling toward the blessed circle, bearing his fangs.

I waved my arms, yelling "NO", trying to get Wolff's attention, but it did not work. He did not seem to comprehend me, or care. He rammed against the circle, only to be pushed back with equal force, the power so great he whined in pain. Yet he continued to try so he could save his prince. His friend.

I pleaded with him to stop running to Cedric. It did not matter. Wolff continued his rampage, only to be stopped by the circle with an unnerving intensity that crippled him with more wounds. As the blood started to pool behind him, I cried again, this time with tears in my eyes, "STOP!"

It was then that the light disappeared and the blessing circle lost its power. I did not dwell on what that action itself implied, instead, I approached a hurt Wolff, who wobbled his way to Cedric. He fell, tired and bloodied by his friend's feet, the moment I touched his nose and he smelled my hand. My tears did not cease flowing down my face, even though his breath was even. It was all too much. Wolff and Cedric were just children.

I looked back at the other victims, the other children, and I saw them in terror. I followed their eyes and found the Empress up. In her hands, her weird, broken syringe. It was split in half, disintegrating as if made of sand. She whipped it against the air as if she had lost part of her soul. And maybe she did.

The Empress grew silent, clutching the broken syringe with such strength it split in two again, creating a trail of copper sand by her feet. She then lifted her head. Her eyes, once golden, now seemed grey, almost ashen. But definitely crazy.

"You rat!" she roared, running up to me. I dodged her by jumping to the side. But that did not stop the Empress, who continued on her pursuit. "You have stolen everything from me. You have ruined everything."