Chapter 54- Emperor Salazar

The air was stiff with energy as the two of the most powerful men in the two most powerful Empires in the world faced each other in a silent battle. Emperor Salazar, with his long sword, tried to choke the Duke, who bare-handed stopped it from touching him by clutching the Emperor's hands.

The skies became tinged with a subtle red and suddenly our surroundings were too cold for our meagre dresses. Everyone was on the edge of their seats, unsure of what to do or say.

Lady Di'Mello rushed to the field and whispered something to professor Sousa when he stopped her and shook his head with a sombre cadence. Wolff took advantage of his distraction to find his prince, to protect him and to put him in control of his emotions.

However, his nature, his god, and all that power in his veins propelled him to continue fighting. To never give up until his enemy was defeated. Until he emerged victorious.

I understood right there that this was the hidden reason behind the duel's law. Having two descendants of opposite gods fight, even if for training purposes, could bring to the surface powers and wills that would certainly cause catastrophe.

But this was becoming ridiculous. He was a damn prince. If he couldn't control himself, then he needed to learn meditation or some shit like that. Not to entice his father into a battle that could end badly for everyone involved.

Instead, I was seeing the idiot growling while the adults were raising the stakes with ice pickets and thundering noises that preceded powerful magic. There was no time to waste. I needed to do something, but with Odette trying to push me down to my seat and a river of people between me and them, it was going to be hard to be on time.

The thunder grew louder and the ice sharper.

Shit... what do I do? What?

I started wiggling my feet, wondering if I could just run to the field and stop it all. However, just then an idea came to me when the obsidian sword of the Emperor was about to touch the sensitive skin of the duke's neck. I did a mental prayer and kicked my leg up and let my shoe fly.

Thanking the goddess when it landed on that damn troublemaker.

Then nothing. No thunder. No ice. And no growling. Only sheer perplexity.

I felt everyone's eyes travel to me and their shock was even more potent than the stressful standoff from before.

With quick thinking, I put my hand on my heart and cried in an abashed tone. "My shoe! My shoeee!" I then limped my way to the field while declaring, "It must have been all this excitement. My leg just gained a life of its own."

Everyone had their mouth agape, while Cedric was both dumbfounded and growing a well-deserved bump in his head. And I was glad that the foolish need to win was out of his system. I walked uninterrupted to the middle of the field. And I felt stupid at the attention thrown at me.

Really?! The guys were about to fistfight and cause a diplomatic nightmare, but what shocked you all was that my shoe found the head of the prince?? How is this the concern?

I don't understand these people.

Then laughter erupted from the crackling silence, taking me by surprise. More so for whom this boisterous noise came from, Emperor Salazar. He was so caught by it he loosened his grip on the sword and on Gobbie's neck, having a hard time breathing in between chuckles.

I was not sure if I preferred his intimidating presence and nerve-wracking eyes on me or this unexpected and unrestrained display of joy.

He seethed his sword and turned his full body to face me, cleaning a single tear that had left his jewelled eye. "Lady Lucreatia, it is a pleasure to have finally an opportunity to meet you."