Chapter 67-Unspoken words

"I am not my mother." I said, resolute. "I am not a thief and I am not her." I took a deep breath. "And I will never be, your majesty."

The Empress stared into my soul, her face unreadable until she spoke. "Then why when I look at you I can only see Florence?"

What took me back was not the question, but the sadness and the fear in those golden-brushed eyes. I did not know what to reply. Although, I was sure I did not need to.

The Empress, then glanced to her surroundings, to her discarded cape, to her feet crushing grass and to her long, almost sheer dress. Something clicked. Her shoulders fell and her energy disappeared. She turned to her son with a posture I did not recognize as her own, just like her new tone of voice. Tired. Defeated.

"Go see your sister, Francis. She is family, and that is too precious to lose."

She did not wait for a reply and left. Her ladies-in-waiting scrambled in her wake, trying to get her golden cape and follow her.

And we watched in silence, while they disappeared into the afternoon glow out of the crown prince's palace.

When she was out of sight, Cedric approached Francis, who had his back on us.

"I know she is your mother..." started the moon prince, letting the rest of his words trail silently.

Francis tensed, and I knew there was going to be a fight.

Cedric put a gentle hand on his friend's shoulder and it was with even more gentleness that he spoke his mind. "Your mother and your sister cannot behave like this..."

Francis did not reply, but he turned his head slightly and I saw how tight his jaw was clenched and how boiling was his temperament.

"We need to do something about it..."

At that, Francis shrugged his friend's hand and stepped back. Away from him and his words. I closed my eyes and sighed. It starts now...

"And what do you mean by something?" asked Francis, barely containing his rage.

Cedric, for his part, looked unsettled and unsure, however, his personality never would allow him to back down, so he went on. "Maybe we should ask the Emperor for help. Or your mother's family. Anyone that at least could take your sister under their wing and could steer her into a proper path."

Francis grew quiet and sombre. Anger stewing inside his golden eyes, spilling on his frozen body.

"A princess should be thoughtful of her people. My sister would never do such things."

Then the anger poured.

"Do you truly believe you can compare both?" asked Francis, taking a step in his direction. "Your sister whose father takes the time of his day to tug her to sleep? To read bedtime stories? To take an interest in her and her opinions?"

I felt the paws of princess Lola on my palm, while the surrounding air became filled with emotions. Anger. Pain. Loss.

"Your family is not like mine." accused Francis. "My father does not care for us. He does not love me or my sister. Unless it fits the kingdom, we are nothing. On that, I suppose I am luckier than my sister."

I petted princess Lola, thinking of the best way to intervene. How best to de-escalate this fight. Yet, seeing Francis bearing all made it impossible for me to step in between them. He deserved to give words to his feelings. He needed that. And we were there to listen. We are his friends.

"That day was the most my sister has seen of our father in years. To my sister, the only parent who cares for her, is my mother and you say we should shield her away from the only love she has?" his voice cracked and I sensed him turning small. "You want us to be away from the only person who cares for us as people and not our titles? Who tugged us to sleep and told us bedtime stories? You want to take away our mother."