Chapter 5- A nostalgic cooking

I chose my path. Alchemy was the route. For me, it was simple, yet I knew it wouldn't be as easy with Jenni and Fanny. Not that it had been easy with Emmanuel. He was still crying behind me when I went to my room, surprising a worried Fanny that waited for me with a cream flask in her hands.

As this would lead to endless and tiresome talks, I asked Fanny to fetch Jenni. My idea was one talk and everything would end. It would be a big and unhappy talk, but then it would be over. Most of it.

While Fanny rushed outside the door, leaving me with the flask and a semi-crying Emmanuel, I went to my desk where my alchemy books were hidden. I dusted them off and a big wimpy sound came from behind me. Emmanuel was sitting in a chair close to the bed, head down.

I arched my eyebrow at his figure. The moment I left the hall, he went into silly mode. It couldn't be that he was trying to stop me, which meant he was being annoying just to piss me over... Ah, the dramatics... of course, he was Gobbie's professor, the titular drama queen.

Was with the books in my hand, that Jenni and Fanny saw me when entering my room. There was a loud gasp coming from the latter, though Jenni remained calm, giving side-eye glances to the miserable Emmanuel. I breathed and closed my eyes before telling them my decision.

They took it as I expected, with a lot of gasps from Fanny, and a worried calm from Jenni's side. Emmanuel just wept (as per norm). When I finished, Fanny rushed to my side and hugged me, sad.

"Why my lady? What if something happens to you? I couldn't live with myself knowing that I could have prevented it..." she released me and glanced back and forth between me and Jenni, who stayed quiet by Emmanuel's side.

Fanny's shaky hands secured my arm. I looked at her and then at my alchemy books. They had the knowledge I needed; they were the ticket to my freedom, to my life. I grasped them until my hands hurt and then lifted my chin and stared at Jenni and Emmanuel.

"I want to survive." I said, simple and resolute.

There was a deep silence, and Fanny's hands left my body. She said nothing and just stayed close to me. Emmanuel stopped crying and looked back at me with the same intensity as in the hall.

"I understand." he told before he got up and left.

Me and Fanny watched him go with surprise, except for Jenni, who didn't even bat an eye over it. Instead, she shifted from her position, her hands clasped together and her blue eyes fixed on me.

"What if things go wrong?" Jenni asked, a deep furrow on her face.

I felt again Fanny's grasp on my arm. I turned to her and smiled, which confused her. Then, when there were no more gasps, I answered Jenni. "That is why Emmanuel would join me in my studies. To help avoid that."

Both arched their brows at my idea and Jenni crossed her arms, waiting for more details. And so I laid down my plan.

After many discussions and unhappy sighs, they agreed on the condition that Emmanuel would oversee every step of my self-studies. They trusted him and, with his presence, my safety would be assured in case something went sour. However...

If I read a book with strange markings, he was there.

If I looked at a strange rock, he was there.

If I analyzed the muskets, he was there.

If I tried to gather ingredients, he was there.

If I... you got my vibe.

He was everywhere, lurking in the shadows. Trying to be inconspicuous and failing miserably. Because Emmanuel could do many great things (or so I was told by several maids and employees at the estate), just not be subtle in hiding. I, and any others really, could spot his warm light and presence in seconds. And if I ever cut or hurt myself (nothing big, to be honest), he would come rushing with tears in his face, causing a ruckus in the manor.