Chapter 29- A prince's blessing

Francis, seeing lady Lucreatia famous for her enormous amount of energy, being the complete opposite. As he watched her walk without course made his heart leapt, uneasy. It was odd and out of character.

At a vigorous pace, he reached for her, who didn't seem to acknowledge his presence. Taking her by her waist, which to his relief was free of any wound, and secured her. It worried him to see her in such a state and that she may not yet be free of danger.

After he was sure she was secured in his arms, Francis glanced around to be sure no one that may have caused this was close by. Then he steered lady Lucreatia, careful to not open more wounds, to a secluded place where he could have her seat and gather some information about what had happened to her.

With one of his hands securing her waist and the other on her hand pushing her softly, Francis was able, in slow and careful steps, to bring her to a hidden corner of the garden, where a plain bench of wood stayed, his pure white outer garment drenching in blood with each step. Before they reached it though, he felt Lady Lucreatia halt with forcefulness, craving her nails on his hand with such a strength he was not sure if the blood now on him was from her or not.

He turned to her, to see that those golden eyes bore a familiar recognition, while she breathed with effort.

"I... have... to... escape..." she whispered with a degree of despair unknown to him, pain relegated to a second.

"My Lady, what happened? Who would dare to do this to you?!" asked Francis, with concern as he looked into those eyes that were so much like his and yet so different. She in response shook her head and turned to glance at the ground, her breathing getting harder. The prince again tried to bring her to rest, yet she responded by applying more strength to her grip.

"The perfume... Lady's Beatrice... is poison..." she looked at him and it seemed like the fire had returned to her.

Francis had enough from her to get a vague understanding of the situation, though the motive was still shredded in mystery. For sure Lady Beatrice had pretensions over becoming the lady of the house, however, he couldn't believe she was stupid enough to believe this was the way to accomplish it. The only thing she would get out of this would be her horrible death. Unless... she truly believed this to be the way, which meant she was not thinking straight and someone else was behind this ordeal.

Someone who wouldn't mind having her thrown into chaos. That would be glad for the Duke, the stronghold of the land and buffer between royalty and the Temple, to turn into a rage mode, destroying everything and everyone in his way. Francis had heard the stories, which many believed to be wishful thinking of the Emperor, out of pride for his old friend or to flatter the man itself, but they were actually a warning. A dangerous warning. 

No... he had to help Lady Lucreatia, she didn't deserve this and neither did the Empire.

The problem was how... because no matter how much of her holy water he used, it did not work. Since it was almost empty, Francis speculated that she must have used the rest quite recently, rendering the recent dose, not useless but almost.

And yet, that was not the only disturbing thing he found.

Most of her wounds were treated easily with some herbs or medicine. Except for her cheek, it reeked of magic, just like her breath. Magic poisoned her and hurt her. And with holy water losing its effectiveness, it was a danger to leave her like this.

But how could he help?

An answer to that question turned urgent as he heard people calling from him, from afar. There was not much time left, so Francis decided to do what he was asked never to, by the Temple. He decided to bless her, using the holy water to increase his holiness.