Chapter 28- A cold welcome

Francis had very few hours of sleep last night. The last days had been chaotic because of the attack on the border. The logistic of preparing help to send was one of the first proper tasks that the Emperor had given to him. A test of abilities. Everything had to be perfect and well thought out, and while stressful, he didn't mind it. Francis knew his own capabilities.

However, when Fridh came bearing the letter of Lady Jennifer, distraught over which gift to send to Odette, his wariness picked up. There were few things Francis knew for sure about the first lady of Mountnero, and her carefulness to detail was one of them. The impossibility of having a lady like Lady Jennifer forget the princess' actual birthday brought something else surfaced, trouble.

The prince feared that the duke's absence at his estate provoked other players into action, and troubles in the house of the Great Duke Mountnero meant problems in the Empire. Gigantic problems. So as any sensate prince would do, he requested Fridh's help to send a discreet message to the Duke. A man parted last night bearing his sealed letter, before supper, and hopefully soon would reach the Duke. The prince's request to return would propel him to come home as fast as possible. The issue was that fast as possible may not be fast enough.

Francis had the sudden urge to warn his friend and fellow prince Cedric of his suspicions. However, fearing a diplomatic incident, he discarded the idea. Cedric was a great friend, but his impulsiveness and attachment to those he loved was a danger in these situations. No, he had to make sure first and only if things went really wrong would he go for his help.

Yet... that was not the only reason why he didn't want to involve his friend... As he laid in his bed, sleepless and looking up to his fresco painted ceiling, with the glorious sun rising and giving a soft light in the sky and the room, through a tall and wide window, he thought of who would have the guts and courage to defy the Mountnero family. The duke... only crazy or powerful people would try that... only people who believed to be above any retaliation on his part... only people like his mother and sister...

Fearing who may be involved, Francis decided instead to make sure Cedric was unaware of his suspicions. For that, he suggested to their professor that his friend helped with the efforts to be sent to the border. Normally a task that fit him best (Francis had already done most of it in previous days, anyway), that day it would be on Cedric's shoulders. The Moon Emperor had also requested that his son helped as well because the Moon Empire was affected since they shared the border. Several Royal warehouses helped in the logistics, but Francis made sure to suggest Cedric used one of those just outside of the city, closer to the Mountnero property. Just in case...

Cedric for sure would curse at him for leaving him alone with the task but he would eventually forgive him. He always did, even when they fought, Cedric always came to talk to him first. They were best friends since birth. And each knew how best to act with the other.

With Cedric out of the way, but close enough, it was time to plan the visit to the Mountnero home with Fridh. They settled on a surprise visit, with few royal guards in tow as to not alert suspicious people. Anyway, Francis believed that no one would dare mess with the royal prince as well, the only capable, loved him enough or were not interested in this fight.

So as the morning cleared on the horizon, he and his entourage parted from the palace in a discreet fashion. Upon seeing the walls of the old and magnificent palace of the powerhouse family in the Empire, the prince felt unsettled. As he approached the gates revested in white gold, he saw what appeared to be an organized group of Templars watching over the property, instead of the usual mounted Mountnero guards. Hard to decipher due to their full and dark armour, Francis felt chills covering his body. Before they could spot them, he decided to send his men, except Fridh and two guards, out of the way. They would instead keep watch far from sight, a group of two in each axis of the property.