Chapter 46- A spider's first party

It was a beautiful afternoon, perfect for a birthday party. Although, unless Lady Juliette was to be the unluckiest lady in the kingdom, the weather would always be pleasant. After all, we were in the heart of the Sun Empire.

This day, like all the others, was no exception and the sun burned bright in the sky, unbothered by clouds or shadows.

Our travel there was as smooth as it could be in a carriage and everyone was in a cheerful mood, though no one could compete with Lady Spider's happiness. She ran from one side to the other in her pink, monstrous dress to see the views that transformed with each gallop. And while Jenni remained serene in such chaos, Gobbie humoured the little one. He looked like a lucky fool, having found the perfect excuse to leave work earlier. One that brought him close to his daughters.

My lips quivered at the sight. It was such a simple thing. However, being like this with them, my family, brought to the surface a peaceful sentiment.

Soon the gates to Juliette's family manor closed in. I picked the spider and hid her under my velvet cream cape. Thankful that she protested only a bit for a change, having believed me about the importance of a grand entrance. Grand or not, a thing was certain, it was not yet time to present her to the world.

The long queue of carriages prevented us from disembarking for at least twenty minutes. The biggest offender, and the reason for the delay, was a gigantic egg-shaped carriage, adorned in gold and painted in pearl white. Carried by seven horses of pure fresh snow white colour, and displaying the Glorious Sun, the royal coat of arms, on each door.

Prince Francis carriage.

Because only the Royal family could be more extreme than the Mountnero in the land of the Sun. From my window, I saw the crown prince leave the carriage, followed by Cedric and their aides.

My smile grew. I had been right. Juliette, though not a lady of a grand house, was still the only daughter of the Royal Guards Captain, Sir Edwin Saga. A person of position in the palace and in close contact with the Sun Royal family.

If not Cedric, at least Francis was obliged to make an appearance. Short or not.

Besides, a birthday together with a second blessing was the most important celebration only short of marriage. Although the blessing, to my sadness, was not a public affair and would have been performed by now.

People said it would be a magical, wonderful thing. Yet they refused to say more than "basking in a harmonious light"sort of thing. I was beginning to think they were lying to me, adding a grandiosity that did not exist.

What was certain was that Juliette was now ready to receive marriage proposals, even at fifteen. Though she could only marry after both she and the groom reached adulthood, eighteen.

From our place, some carriages afar, I saw both princes greet the family's head at the entrance. My interest was so great it infected both the little spider and Jenni, who contorted herself to see the outside view, as she was with her back to it.

It didn't take long for us to hear a scowl come from the side. Gobbie was in for a treat if he was already sulking at such a mellow thing.

To avoid laughing, I concentrated on the princes, as usual, dressed in opposing colours. One with a white three-piece suit and a long and flowing red cape, tied on one shoulder, the final touch, a golden circlet on his head. The other sported a scarlet one and wore a dark three-piece suit with a silver cape tied on the opposing shoulder.

Their aides mimicked their style, although without the excessive accessories. Except one. A pin of the silver moon on Wolff's chest and a pin of the magnificent sun on Fridh's. They shone so brightly it was impossible to not see it.