Chapter 69- Nightmares turned real

It was a normal morning in the palace. Quiet and uneventful. If one was used to the comings and goings of the royal palace, of course. The crowd of servants going by their day, trying to be unseen, the clattering noise of the guards marching on, and the chaotic mess coming from the workers of the government offices who rushed from one place to another trying to do their tasks. Carriages came and went, bringing all sorts of merchandise from the outside, food, medicine, and clothes. Others brought visitors and nobles from all corners of the capital.

It was full of life. As a palace should be.

Yet it felt too quiet. Too empty. Even if it was as usual.

The opposite of my restless heart. It started that night when I saw the documents Francis had inserted into the envelope a week ago. They were full of information about The Pit. Names of people who organised makeshift houses to shelter the less fortunate, accounting books of missing government offices located near, maps, and much more.

It was more than helpful. It made our path forward so much clearer.

But that night I dreamed again. Of Cedric and his rage. This time, however, it felt real. His hands were on my throat, his magic was burning my skin, and my trembling body could not escape his violent power.

I woke sweating and gasping for air. And from that day on, I went every day to the palace every morning, while in the late afternoon, I created more of my bullets. It provided a sense of calm in me and gave me purpose. I felt safer with my bullets and my loves. Even if the only thing chasing me was my nightmares.

Until they were just only that... nightmares. Until they changed into something else. Until they left marks on my body.

Marks that disappeared from my body in the early hours of the day, yet I felt them under the tips of my fingers as I stroked my neck in front of my vanity mirror. Marks no one saw but me. Marks that made me wonder if I was becoming crazy.

Then I decided it was time to take measures and stalk a Moon Prince.

I chose my easiest-to-carry musket, half my size and made of lightweight silver, with very few jewels. It blended well with my emerald green dress and navy blue cape, which I used to conceal the weapon. The heat was dreadful, but I only took the cape off in the office where no one else but girls could see.

My decision to take the musket to the palace had caught Fanny and Jenni by surprise. But whatever they saw in my eyes as I pleaded with them to allow me to take it made them stop their objections and speak of it no more. I was nervous initially, although as the daughter of the highest duke, I was never searched when I entered the palace. And even if I was, they would find nothing more than a collection piece. Most people would never consider it a weapon.

And yet I wanted it near me and hidden.

Like the pistol and the silencer I had strapped on my leg, which had been with me every day, I had visited the palace.

In the middle of the morning, Amelia and I went for a walk. My intention was clearly to find a way to Cedric and check on him. However, I was not allowed into the Royal Academy without invitation (or forced by a spoiled princess). I was hoping to find them strolling on the proximities or at least bumping into us, as it was time for their break from class.

Today, however, we walked and walked and there was no sign of Cedric or Wolff, and my heart began to beat faster. A feeling crawled under my skin, ready to strike. A pure anxiety that I stomped down and buried deep.

"Is something wrong, Lulu?" asked Amelia, her tilted head appeared in front of me. Eyes curious, mouth slightly opened.

I reached for the musket for comfort, finding instead Princess Lola, who wrapped around my wrist.