Chapter 68- The darkness behind magic

Cedric stayed with Francis's words for the rest of the night. They did not leave him and his heart for the entire week after, either.

Francis had not attended their lessons, citing unfinished duties of higher importance. But Cedric knew better. He knew he was lying.

Which hurt.

Because he was confused. Because he could not understand. Was it wrong to protect one's friend? Anything less went against everything he stood for. Everything his parents taught him. Against his own honour as a royal prince.

Then yet... why did he fill like a villain to his friend? His brother. The only person who knew like him what it meant to be a prince. His mirror. And yet, Cedric could not understand his struggles. He was aware of the words and the pain he felt, but could feel the same as he did.

"Your Highness needs to rest."

Wolff's voice took him from his troubling thoughts and he realized it was already night. The moon, full and glorious, hanging in the sky, provided some light to the poorly lit office he used in the Sun's Empire. It was modelled to be like the one he used at home, albeit smaller, to make him comfortable. But he could never be as comfortable as in the Moon Empire. There he was a prince, here he was a visitor.

He located his friend, who was a mix of shadows. His face was partially hidden in the darkness while he waited on the other side of the desk Cedric was seated.

"Am I a terrible friend, Wolff?" he asked.

Cedric had told his aide of his fight with Francis and he had been quiet about it, only listening to him recounting the event. He had thought Wolff was doing as his duty forced him to, never to comment on another royal's behaviour. A bad word could start a war, as his father told them, repeatedly.

"Of course not." replied Wolff, still obscured, although Cedric noticed him shift in his chair.

He grew some courage for the next question. "Did I hurt him?"

But he knew he had. He just wanted to hear from someone else. Someone who was not afraid to tell him the truth.

"You did not mean to cause Prince Francis any harm, your highness." said Wolff, his voice calm, too much for the restless heart of the moon prince.

A sigh escaped his lips. His eyes shifted down to a sack of papers he did not want to read, then to his wrist where Lulu's nails had carved his skin when she tried to force him to leave with her. She had not noticed the force she was using. Then again, he had not been a willing participant. He touched his reddish skin; he had not felt pain, and now when his thumb touched the half circles printed in him and as his veins pulsed against it, he still could not feel a smidge of pain. But he felt other things.

"That does not say I did not." He replied without returning his gaze to his friend. The beauty of his marks and the feel of his pulse were too bewitching.

He was changing. They told him it would be like that after the First Sacrifice. It scared him as much as it amazed him. Their power. Their God. His role. And his end.

Just like Francis, he gathered.

"Your Highness." Wolff's voice carried an edge that made Cedric stop.

The craving for power was stronger on the days he was the weakest. Where his mind was riddled with guilt and questions. But the hunger for magic was never good for his people. Especially not for him. And not in the Sun Empire.

He lifted his head to see Wolff's face come closer. Without the shadows, he could see a crease in between his brows and an anxious twist of lips.

"Your highness is a good person. You have a great family, great friends and the support of your people." he started soft as if preparing Cedric for a blow.