Chapter 27- Gobbie, The Duke

I left the Temple much fresher and lighter, however there we many questions that were heavy on my mind.

For one, The Temple had eyes on me... I didn't like it, not one bit.  Something was off. In the book, The Temple was regarded mostly as a nice faith, especially when the main character took over the High Priestess role.  She was responsible for eliminating all the evil guys who used The Temple to perform experiments on half-beasts. 

But those people were seen as the enemy even by many from The Temple itself. Was Aunt Belladona aware of this prison? Back in the book, the higher and most corrupt members of the Temple had wanted the main character to be a pawn and nothing else. Was Lucreatia's aunt the same?

I have never seen myself as an expert on anything but my work, but I always could sense other people's reactions to me. With the High Priestess, however, was a little different. I never felt like she had anything against me and I could sense some affection for Lucreatia, though that was not the all picture for sure.

There was something looming on Aunt Belladona and I was completely on the black there.... besides she had been completely unhelpful to us. But then again, fighting against the royal family might not be easy, even for the High Priestess.  Yet, she sounded way too nonchalant about it...

"You are thinking so hard Lulu, that if Fanny saw you she would panic over your face." A sweet voice interrupted my heavy thoughts.

I looked at the worried face of Jenni, she had heard the warning that Aunt Belladona gave me. Unaware of what she thought, I stayed quiet.  I didn't want to burden her with my thoughts on Aunt Belladona and The Temple, she wouldn't understand.  She was just 8! 

"Don't worry Lulu. You went great at the First Blessing. The rest we will deal with." She gave me her winning smile and took my hand, giving me warmth.

Jenni was always like this, nice and supportive, no matter what. She made everyone comfortable with her presence.
And I saw her as my (little) sister already, so it was doubly hard for me to know she would be involved with those two...

One was a troublemaker with a hidden agenda and the other was a hidden agenda all over. I wouldn't trust Jenni with Francis like I wouldn't trust a cat with a pet rat...

I envisioned ways to stop them, but then I remembered the crucial detail that had always made me stop messing with her destiny. It was not the right thing and according to what she told the main character, Jenni had always wanted to become the Empress.

"Oh, papa is waiting for us!" Said Jenni with happiness as she pointed to the figure running in chaotic circles.

From afar, I could tell it was that dammed Duke. He had told us that he was going to the town to give offerings to the needy, for such a time-consuming task, he surely came early. 

My previous self would have been furious for this obvious lie, if not for something that I would use and abuse for the rest of my existence.

Hahahahaha. I also know how to be evil, prick.

Upon reaching closer to the distracted Duke, who was walking in circles near the carriage, I let enough air on my lungs.

"Gobbie!!!!" I yell, so he and anyone else in the vicinity was able to hear.

The Duke stopped, looking confused and shocked. I just splashed my cute smile.

At that, the Duke gave us an awkward smile before coming to us with open arms. Gobbie tried to hide, yet I caught him giving a dirty eye to the Temple. Ohh he hated it! And I loved it! Hahahaha.

"Girls how it went? Did it go well?" He was kneeling and covering us with his arms, in a warm and protective stance. His voice was awkward and failing a little.