Chapter 23- The Return

Morning came, and we prepared ourselves for our journey back to the capital. We said our goodbyes to Rosalinda's servants, who were tearful but dignified. With each bow and good wish, my head flew everywhere, trying to find an idiotic priest with two strange lilac eyes. I had no luck.

When most servants had expressed their heartfelt goodbyes, Juliette came forward, a letter in her hands. Next to her was the butler, a young man with plump cheeks. He carried, with Franco's help, the ebony box delivered by Lord Fridh. My eyes were stuck on it until the head maid pushed the letter to me, bowing when I took it from her hands.

"Lord Emmanuel wishes for my lady to have a good journey back home. He hopes as well that you are careful with your special hobbies and have always a responsible adult by your side whenever you perform them. Like the duke." said Juliette.

My lips almost quivered at such ridiculous statement. Almost. Coward. Idiot.

I took the letter and clenched it in my hands, causing the paper to wrinkle. Juliette let her brow kirk partly up, yet she said nothing, deciding it was best to retire.

"He hates goodbyes." said the duke behind me.

Me and Jenni, who had been by my side, turned to see him. He stepped back to give instructions to Franco and the butler. And when they moved past him, he came to our side again, patting us both on our heads.

After ruffling our hair a little, he let it go, taking our hands in his and leading us to the entrance hall, where Lady Sargosa and Eloise were waiting, watching the huge silver tree.

The sunlight came from the windows up, striking the silver leaves with its glow. It warmed the room and the ladies' faces. As we walked to them, I put the letter in one of my pockets, retrieving instead a less conspicuous, small and square, paper from it. It fit in my palm and it itched a little; it was also the ticket to my freedom from the beautiful chain they called bracelet.

We approached them and said our goodbyes. As ladies, me and Jenni bowed while the Duke took Lady Sargosa's hand. When he was chatting with her, distracted, I scooped Eloise for a hug, hearing Jenni's loud gasp behind me.

I whispered into Eloise's ear while I pushed the paper in her hand. "Show this to your grandmother, and only her. Help me."

I dropped the hug and looked into her eyes, happy to see some semblance of understanding in them. Still, my breath was erratic, since I was unsure if my plan had worked.

"Lulu. That behaviour is not proper." called Jenni, though she didn't seem angry, only curious. She shared her puzzling attention between me and Eloise.

The girl betrayed nothing. Instead, she smiled widely and joyfully. "It was a pleasure to meet you, lady Lucreatia. I am sure, however, we shall see each other rather sooner than later." She bowed and my breath returned to normal.

We soon left for our extravagant carriage, which had the Mountnero symbol and its blue and white colours painted on. Through the windows I looked and waved at the people who were my family during my stay, wishing I could have stayed a little longer.

***

Our trip back was longer than the one sending us to Aerabitina. We took more time to rest and appreciate the views. There was time for leisure and fun. I swam with Fanny in the great lake of the Rose forest, picked up exquisite flowers with Jenni at the Bell fields, and overlooked the small mountains on the Giant Corcunda lands with Gobbie. It was pleasant, yet I felt a little reckless as I had yet to open Emmanuel's letter.

I had been too angry and too exasperated to feel like it. Besides, I knew what he had written, and I was too tired of his excuses. But the day before we arrived at the capital, the exquisite envelope called me at all hours, and no matter how much I tried to pretend it didn't exist, I was thoroughly unsuccessful.