Chapter 15- Vengeful Scarlet

Emmanuel led us through a hidden path in a nearby garden. It was almost too magical and whimsical, even for the Sun Empire, with the bushes forming an arc over our heads. The same ones filled with white flowers that smelled of spring. And a ground that was nothing more than fresh greenery. At the end of the path, there was a clearing where a statue of the Goddess stood, surrounded by wildflowers and high trees.

Upon a closer inspection, I noticed a small pond that circled her feet. I looked with interest at her face, much friendlier than the one at the Temple. There was no shield and no sword, just a kind smile and a crown of flowers in each hand.

Jenni and Fanny had followed behind and were about to reach us when Emmanuel turned to them and, with a hand stretched out, stopped their movements. "I need you, girls, to stay some steps away. If not, your energy could influence her practice."

He knelt on a patch of dirt in front of the Goddess, murmuring some prayers. Jenni, undeterred by his words, crossed her arms and eyed him with wariness. "What is my sister going to practice, exactly, Lord Emmanuel?" while not stepping closer, she circled the pond and had her eyes glued on him, waiting.

His body stirred and he let out a massive sigh, taking my hand and making me kneel while he got up to face Jenni. "Your sister accomplished to go forward with her desires. She has outdone herself. Alchemy is no joke... And while I am next to her, that won't be a problem. When she leaves for the capital, however, her connection with the goddess may be compromised and cause damages."

That kept Jenni and Fanny quiet, both giving worried glances at each other. With a slow breath, Emmanuel returned his eyes to mine. I noticed how tormented they were, just like his voice. "You must promise me, Lady Lucreatia, that you will do what I am about to teach you every time you have used alchemy. Promise me under the goddess and this will be the only thing I ask of you for the troubles I will get for allowing to study a dark art."

I didn't waiver under his scrutiny, but I did defy it. "I will when I know what I am supposed to do. Hard to promise something when I don't understand what it is."

Emmanuel smiled as if he had expected my reaction. "It is a protection. I will teach you now. First, close your eyes and concentrate on the light around you and in you." he waited for me to begin his instructions before he continued. "The goddess image will help you on your first tries, so you can localize your light much easier. However, after several attempts, you will be able to do it without it."

I groaned. To think that for a meagre alchemy success I would have to be buried into more things to do... Yet I did as he told me. It was better than going crazy. Or at least I tried, since concentrating on an unseen light was hard.

"Imagine the goddess' undying light surrounding you, coming from her extended hands to you. A light so bright it could blind you." he said soothingly. "Imagine her comforting heat. You feel no cold, no worries, no fear. Only harmony between your soul and your body." His speech grew ephemeral, inhumane. Yet nice and familiar.

I felt myself relax as I heard his steps circling me with a soft rhythm. A tangling feeling engulfed me as I imagined a golden light forming at my fingers. Then a humming sound buzzed in my ears, startling me, until a distant chuckle interrupted. "Don't worry, this is to help you. Relax and let the light lead you, surround you and protect you."

I grumbled further. I was doing very well until you intervened; you fool.

Another chuckle boomed in my head. I pretended it was just some annoying fly and went back to my relaxing state. The light increased in intensity, golden as the eyes that filled my worst nightmares and yet too warm to cause anything but bliss. It was all over. Overflowing, outside and inside me. I felt warm, and I felt... powerful.