Chapter 45- Curiosity mixed with chocolate

Days of calm passed after that eventful afternoon. And although my feelings had gotten, in a certain way, resolved regarding Gobbie, things were still awkward with Jenni, who had exchanged very few words with me since then.

It could have been that she was busy helping run the manor and our estates, or maybe she continued to be angry at me for going against her.

In part, I was relieved for it since I had yet to come to terms with Jenni's other side (as real as the caring one I was used to) and probably would never. I feared things would become even more awkward if we spoke. Mostly because of me.

Instead, I threw my heart and soul into alchemy, and I occupied the rest of my time with etiquette classes and...

"My lady, I am not sure it is a good idea to take Miss spider with you to the party." said Fanny, her forehead wrinkling as she cut a piece from a beautiful pink tulle.

She sat on a velvet chair; her back catching the warm rays of the sun as she worked on her creation. We were in my small waiting room. Surrounded by soft pink and silver, with fluffy tapestry and cushioned chairs and a big sofa.

I looked at her, cutting the tulle into more and more parts, stopping once in a while to pat on a pushy spider. Fanny had not said a thing about that afternoon, although it was impossible she hadn't been told. Since that day, she had been watching me like a hawk and was much more afraid of my ideas than before.

Just like now.

"It may cause a mess." she said, taking a tiny needle from a navy blue pouch in her lap.

When did I hear those words??? Oh yes... every day...

I circled around the room, going to the table in between the couch and two chairs, while Fanny stuck her tongue beneath her teeth as she tried to pass a silver string in the needle's ever-so-tiny hole.

Arriving there, I picked up the invitation and showed it. "It says to bring our pets." when Fanny raised her head, having accomplished her task, an edge of a smile appeared on my lips. "Besides, I already replied to Lady Juliette, informing her of my little companion."

Although I didn't say the whole truth.

Fanny's expression told me just that, yet in her hands were the beginnings of a ball dress for the little spider. For all her resistance, Fanny was weak when it came to playing dress-up. Something she and the lady spider had in common,

The little one jumped in Fanny's lap, letting out some noisy shrieks. "See, she is happy with that." I said, as the spider put itself in between the rivers of materials and the hands of a hardworking maid and friend.

"How do you know what she says or thinks, my lady?" asked Fanny, peering back at me while she scratched softly the little spider's head. An action she was not aware of it herself.

I leaned closer, a grin across my lips. "The same way as you know, I suppose."

At that, Fanny's mouth opened, and she stopped moving. "I don't..." she looked down at her tools, making a mess, trying to find something she couldn't find or needed.

You bad liar.

"Uhmm..." I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

I returned to my walk, my hands clasped together in front as my steps took me to another window. There I saw the rose garden and the old trees, and when I squeezed my eyes, I could see the lake reflecting the rays of sunlight.

"I think I should name our lady spider." I murmured to myself, watching my breath clash against the window without leaving a mark.

I sensed two pairs of eyes on me. One excited and one worried.