Chapter 31- A tangled mind

I believed in the words of Francis, those words that professed the promise he only did once, to Jenni in the book. A promise he took it engraved in his soul, never to hurt the prince... son of his friend, Emperor Cedric, with his wife.

So I believed him. But it was hard.

I heard thunder, yet the sky out of the window was clear of clouds. The office, the duke often used, seemed so bare and dark. As lashes cut through my skin, courtesy of that crazed bitch, I could see, as sharply as the black clouds that formed before my eyes, the evil glint that fucking priest had in his eyes. Dressed in white, with a golden drape over his simpler clothes, he looked very much like a nightmare. Dark-haired, with a beard of days and a twisted mouth, he had an important air around him. In contrast to Joshua, whose posture resembled a scared cat that feared for his life, he glanced from the adults to me as they pressured me to sign the document.

Blood dripped from my bruised thighs as Lady Beatrice applied the punishment with increasing cruelty. The paper, a new one, laid in front of me at the pinewood desk. My feet, on top of a padded footstool big enough to fit two children, ached from the effort. I could feel them grow cold, though the stool was warm and drenched in blood. My blood? If so, it was not good news...

I should fight and berate them, and I wanted, but then Jenni, Fanny and the others who took care of me... their pained faces... it stopped me... While the bitch concentrated on me, they would be safe, and he would have enough time to help us... but was all this blood mine?

My arms were cut and my back ached as if knifes carved in, taking the air off my lungs. And the thunder illuminated my face, though the sky continued to be of a dreamy blue. Like it has always been in the Sun Empire. And as they ordered me to sign the paper, which would seal my destiny, beating and berating me for it, I started to hear the rain. Lord Joshua, crying, begged for me to sign it as he tried to reach for me, being stopped by the priest, that watched my suffering under a scorned smile.

The rain became ferocious and the thunder louder. Drops of water fell from my face. Or was it blood? Why there is so much blood?

Was it because of the poison? Didn't he cure me somewhat? Why then there is so much blood? Why the rain and the thunder on a clear day, and why the screams of agony?

Whose blood was this?

And as my vision darkened and blurred, I tried to touch the bracelet Jenni had gifted me. Even with a river of scarlet passing through, it shone as beautiful as before. Just like the golden eyes that watched me.

The lady, beautiful beyond measure, smiled while her eyes dropped blood from them. He hair was covered in the same blood that covered me, though her scalp had a grey colour of hair. The blood pool on her back increased as her breaths turned erratic and her eyes started to lose their brightness. It scared me. She was in pain, yet she smiled at me.

I wanted to help, but I couldn't move...

"mommy..." the sound was meek and childish... who was it?

The lady smiled one last time, though she never let her eyes leave my sight, even when they no longer worked.

I wanted to cry, to rage, to beat everyone and everything. But more than that, I wanted to help her. I wanted to live.

And I would. I needed to live. I couldn't give up.

My intense wish was met with an intense light that took me from the lady, it blinded my soul but warmed my heart. It was, however, the voice that woke me.

"Pray..." with it came again the darkness, those haunting golden eyes carved in my memory, that sad smile breaking my heart. "Lucreatia you have to pray... please pray..."

And for the first time in my life, I did.

Hope you like it?

In this chapter, I wanted to do a sort of experiment... Show how a fragmented mind of a narrator could be applied in writing. Lulu has been poisoned, beaten and so her mind is wandering, which turns her into an unreliable narrator (all first-person narrators kind of are, but you get it). Here it shows a glimpse of something that will come later on in the story... It is sad but I hope you still enjoy it.

Anyway, I am really excited about next week as there are new points of view coming up. Can you guess who?  :)

Kisses

Andrea