Chapter 24- Gobbie leaves

The last few days were hectic and troubling. It was then that I realized why the Duke had been so busy lately. Since some months ago, there were some sightings of monsters near the borders with the Moon Empire.

And while nothing new, as young monsters sometimes travelled far from their territory, people were now getting restless. They wanted to hunt down the monsters. Even if they didn't attack, people feared it was only a matter of time until then.

The King sent knights to calm the population, yet nothing was enough. And as time went by, the nerves got higher and higher. It boiled in silence until the inevitable happened. Some drunk youngsters attacked an easier and less deadly species of a monster, killing it on sight.

Happy with their victory, they celebrated with even more drinking and dancing. The problem was the monsters. They were vengeful and spared no one who touched one of them. And those foolish ended up ripped into pieces and eaten right in front of the main square.

By then the boiling had made the damage and the duke was conferring with his army and knights on the best solution. But people wanted blood, which was hardly an appropriate answer to Gobbie. The temple itself was unhelpful, so the Emperor was pondering if it was not the best if the Duke went himself. As the great Duke and brother of the High Priestess, his influence was gold in the Empire.

And people would hear his call. Nice and all, but I really didn't want him to go...

I know it must be strange to hear that. Yet something was bugging me. The tutor was behaving strangely. Not that she was mean or strict, actually she didn't mind my baking or my lack of skills or interest in her lessons. No, not that, it was instead the look she gave me with that gelid smile she acquired when no one was around us.

I was meaning to say something to Duke, but the son of a.... well he was too busy doing his job, which I couldn't blame him for. A war with the beasts was not an ideal scenario.

Soon came the dreaded news of his departure.  It was decided last minute as Gobbie didn't really wish to be sent there. However, things were starting to escalate to bigger proportions, which they needed to avoid. And then it was decided.

After discovering that dreadful news from a worried Fanny, I hurried out of my room to the entrance where Gobbie was discussing something with Lady Beatrice and the butler. He saw me rushing to my side and promptly kneeled, letting me grab him with my tiny hands.

I noticed Jenni there as well, hidden behind several knights that gathered there.

In the middle of all the confusion and voices, I  shooke him with desperation and tried to bring air to my lungs after all the running.

"Don't go. Stay. Please." I needed him here, for some strange reason, I knew it. Call it six sense or anything else, I knew it. This was the end for me... one knows after facing death once.

He looked at me with those blue eyes, with warmth and indecision. I knew he was wavering in his decision.

"Everything is going to be fine my Lord." Told the sweet voice of lady Beatrice almost chirpy, while she put her cold hands on my shoulders.

"My lord we have to go... he got word the people are assembling for an attack on the frontier. They will be massacred." Told the captain of the knights, a tall and burly man, who had reached closer to the Duke from the crowd of knights assembled at the entrance. Even with our enormous place, it seemed small in comparison with the number of people gathered there.

The duke gave me a final look, before kissing me on the forehead to say his goodbyes. And as he did the same with Jenni, I cursed him through my teeth. I wanted to yell, to kick him, but lady Beatrice cold grip on my shoulders silenced me.

Idiot Gobbie, always living his children off. You son of a bitch... when I need you the most you leave!

I hope you fall head-on in crap!

Curse you!!

And as I saw him leave, I thought those cold hands on my shoulders started to grow stronger and hurtful.

Yay, I was in very deep shit... nice...

So sorry for the late update

So sorry for the late update... Thursday I returned back to my country and it is been hectic since then... It is always good to feel loved and have everyone wanting to see you... yet, It is hard to update the chapters XD

I thought vacations would mean more time to write... not exactly XD

This is the last chapter of the middle of ACT II, meaning shit is going down next chapters... I feel sorry for lulu actually...

Hope you like this chapter... it talks a little about the beasts, which is part of the lore of this world and an important piece later on. I have sooooo many ideas about them !!

Anyway, enjoy and sorry again!

-----//-------

Some suggestions while you wait for the next chapter:

My blog: http://andreasousa.com

My podcast (has the blog chapters): A writer's journey (on Spotify)

Do you like that I give suggestions? I always feel this space is to connect with my readers and let them know about other things that they may enjoy... I hope is not too much XD

---//----------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!