Chapter 7- The new tutor

Later that day, we received a letter from the infamous Lady Sargosa. It resembled more a telegram than a letter. Short and spot on.

A week from now, I will start the classes with the young ladies. Please arrange everything that we may need.

I am sure, Lord Emmanuel, you will do it with ease.

With warm regards,

Lady Bianca of Sargosa

With only a few days left till my hellish classes started (and my afternoons got lost in the vacuum of lady stuff), I resolved to occupy myself with studying alchemy and occasionally baking. The first was always with Jenni and Emmanuel by my side, the second with Fanny guarding me. I learned to enjoy having company in both activities. There was not really a way to avoid it, anyhow, so I took advantage of their help. And baking was always best with two people.

After some tries with new recipes, I settled on making chocolate cookies on the day before Lady Sargosa was to visit. The maids had told me it was Emmanuel's favourite treat, and I was still hopeful of winning him through his stomach, like the duke.

The afternoon went on as planned and I was about to take the cookies out of the oven when the door burst open and a crazed and sweating Emmanuel entered. He searched for me in a chaotic fashion, almost tripping over some pots on the floor. All while saying, under his breath, what sounded to be very much like curses.

"Of course... she would trick me with the date! Now she is going to accuse me..." He babbled. Emmanuel then took the hot tray with cookies from my gloved hands, storing its contents in a glass jar close by. Both I and Fanny stared at him, unsure of what was happening, and how he was not burning himself. Must be a blessing somewhere in his hands.

When he secured the jar under his arm, he gave me his other arm so I could link it with mine. Instead, I dove my foot on the floor and pushed a sleeve of his underneath coat. "What is the matter, Emmanuel?" I demanded. My feet wouldn't move without an explanation.

A whipping sound escaped his lips, and he some took time to sigh and ruffle his hair. "Lady Sargosa has arrived, and she wishes to meet you and your sister. There is not much time left before she realizes something is amiss." Emmanuel looked around, his voice serious.

Whhhhat?!

"I thought she was supposed to come tomorrow for our lessons?!" I blurted out, way too surprised to care for how I voiced my opinions. Clearly, we were all wrong. And now I had to get ready and clean all the flour out of my body.

Emmanuel took my arm and led me out of the fragrant kitchen. "She was, but she wanted to present herself first..." he let out a low growl as he walked in fast-paced steps. His frustration was funny and intriguing to see, and both Fanny and I exchanged curious glances over such an interesting change of personality.

"She is going to berate me... say I let you do everything you wish..." he whined, like a puppy who was about to be chastised by his owner.

I said nothing. The chaotic pace didn't allow it. Besides, I was not sure it would be a good idea to say something to stress even more a super moody priest. Not sure he would like to be made fun of... when he was like this.

We reached my room, and his steps shorten. I went inside with Fanny, while he waited outside. "Ten minutes!" he said nothing more. Hardly enough time to be ready, even with Fanny's magic hands. She arranged my hair in a simple bun, exchanged my dress, and dusted the flour off from my body. When she was about to second check her work, a soft knock came from outside. There was no more time.

I left the room followed by a preoccupied Fanny and walked my way to the drawing-room with Emmanuel by side, the jar nowhere to be seen. Until then I hadn't been nervous, though now, the story was a little different. Not that I was shaking in fear, just unsure of what would happen and who would I face. All I knew was that she was a tough person, whom even Emmanuel had a hard time dealing with. She may be even worse than Lady Beatrice for what I know! (though it's hard to go as far... she was a murderous tutor....)