Chapter 42- A farewell between friends

I was a little surprised by the sudden rush of affection coming from Cedric. He held me so tight that my bones felt pressured, and I almost chided him for it until I remembered I had almost died by a crazed lady... so yeah, a hug may be nice...

His desperation stirred something inside me. The memory of the pain, the endless suffering of those lashes and the blood they generated. Under his warm embrace, I shivered, feeling lost for a moment. Tears wanted to come out, but there was no time to cry and no time to despair, so I shoved it all inside. No weakness. I can't fear the past.

Cedric let go of me and I could see it now, his scarlet eyes wet from his tears. Behind him, I saw Wolff with his ears twitching and his tail wagging happily. I smiled at him, but I caught the awkward look he shared with Fanny, whose cheeks got flushed.

I was not the only one to notice this. Everyone did. Jenni, too, became curious about such behaviour, though she said nothing about it. Prince Cedric, however, cared nothing about it.... weird.. what happened?

"Where are you heading to, Lulu? You should rest!" accosted Cedric with a tender voice, touching my sleeve. His eyes trailed over me, searching for any wounds, any blood. There was nothing besides a healthy body before him. Still, his eyes, deep and intense, secured me in place. Only sincerity would move him.

"I was after aunt Belladonna." at her name, Cedric's face paled together with Wolff's. I knew then something had happened. "She is going to meet the Duke to talk about what happened. Did she do anything to you?" their eyes darkened and their silence became hard, and I saw already there would be no answer from them to my question.

"And is that more important than resting? Wouldnt everyone tell you about what happened, later?" asked Cedric as he moved to touch my hands, wrapping them with his in a soft touch.

"I can always rest after! And would you tell me everything?"

"Yes." that answer surprised me shut. He was not lying. Those eyes that looked at me were of a true intensity, shared a little by Wolff as well. Then a big sigh escaped his lips. " Maybe not everything... not until I got all the answers..." he turned to his friend. "She is going to get caught."

"Certainly!" confirmed Wolff, who laughed.

They... they... were mocking me!!!! The nerve that these troublemakers had to make fun of a person!!

I was ready to tell them to screw off, however, while I raged internally, a jewel appeared in my grasp. Free of Cedric's hand wrap I looked at it with excitement. I realized it was not a jewel, but a twine, yellowish and rough that had been tied up to look like a jewel. Like me, the girls peered into my hand, Jenni's neck going stiff with the effort.

"Accept it. While not as powerful as before, it may be of use to you. It is a hiding twine, wrap it around you and it shall render you invisible. To most people, at least. Don't worry by the length it can wrap more than one person. " my eyes changed from him to the tangled twine, several times until my brain recognized it. An alchemy object! So like Lady Beatrice's, this one was not a stone. Interesting.

"I am not sure that is prudent..." started Jenni, reaching closer to me.

"It should be alright once, right?" I asked with Belladonna's words in mind.

"It may only last once too, with the High priestess power. The holiness fills these walls, the objects and the air. Nothing from our god can withstand for long while she continues to lay her prayers." answered Wolff, he too coming one step closer.

Then Cedric's face grew dark and sombre, scaring me a little. "Take it as a farewell gift. Keep it, if it lasts, until we see each other... just... no matter what you hear, be sure of one thing. You are a friend of the Moon Empire. You are my friend. " I looked at him. Well, those are two things, my friend... but I stayed quiet as his face became sad. "However even with this, I cannot guarantee that the high priestess wouldn't find you. As Wolff said, this place is full of her energy. She is the most powerful member of the Temple and the Sun Empire is her territory. If you approach her too close, the object will break."

Ah, shit... that is right... how could I be so stupid to forget such a thing... must have been that crazy ladies poison... hope she is moping in a dungeon somewhere...

Jenni then surprised everyone by coming forward, touching both me and Cedric.  "I have a way..." she told us, with a serene voice.

She did?! What? How? What is happening??

Cedric burst out laughing, making us all turn to him to understand what had been so much funny. "The Mountnero ladies indeed are special!" with a sleek movement he twisted my hand and gave a kiss, whispering after. "To use it just wrap it around you and your sister, preferably at the centre of your body to spread the effect much more easily. Think of a cloud of smoke covering you... it should be easy, even for you." a sly smile and he was away.

Maybe a smack on the head could help him stop making fun of me... energy... I need to conserve energy and well he helped.... but next time you are screwed, moon prince.

Cedric left without much to say, choosing to end with a bow. He, as always, was followed by Wolff who did the same, touching his heart when he inclined. His cheeks were rosy as he glanced at Fanny, who too became self-conscious.

What is this.... no.... can it be??? A love romance?! Now? But they were only a little older than the rest! Can't be! Oh... I need to know all details!

When the boys left our vision, I was eager to ask her, however, there was no time to lose and Jenni was already moving away. So I ran after my sister, not before giving a warm hug back to Fanny, who stayed behind.

Time to sneak on the Mountnero brother and sister duo!

I hope you like it :)

Can I tell you I was afraid to publish this chapter? Not because I hate it or anything, just afraid my story sucks... It's a long story and it takes time to have all those secrets out without dumping them last minute out of nowhere.

Maybe it is not for everyone, but I hope is still great for some!! :)

Act 2 has 5 more chapters. Two of those I added after my planning for Act 2 had ended. And one of those is the next one (title: Retribution is a cold bitch). Are you excited about it?

I know Act 2 is long (was longer than I intended), but I wanted to make it so you understood how defenceless these children could be against adults who think they have the right to overstep their wishes. I wanted to show this helplessness to propel Lulu into bigger things. Also, I had to show the alchemy and the blessings (and the holy water)... XD

Besides I had too much fun giving voice to characters like Fanny, Wolff, Francis, Cedric and Jenni. It actually made me grow in my storytelling (or I think at least) and I loved them.

Anyway, Act 3 is coming...

With new characters (one is my favourite), magic, blessings, intrigue, alliances, friendships, parties, death and acceptance.

And maybe... a point of view that may shock you all. XD