Chapter 18- A warm reception

The dreadful day arrived, and both me and Jenni were dropped at the entrance of Princess Odette's Royal Palace, by an overexcited Duke.

Jenni, while still a child, was calm and collected, like a true lady. I was just preparing myself for the ordeal. Let's say no matter how much I prepared, it would have never been enough...

At the arrival, we were received warmly by the Royal maids and attendants. Well... Jenni was, at least. Me? Not so much...

"Lady Mountnero, please come this way to the garden. The princess is waiting for your excellency." Said the main maid, out of the three that lead the way. She gave Jenni the warmest smile and a bow, while to me she barely acknowledged my existence, only muttering a "Miss" with a sneer.

As we walked, I realized that this behavior was not exclusive to the head and two other colleagues, all of the palace attendants did it also. They were nice and respectful to Jenni, while to me, they had contempt on their eyes and posture. So strong were their sentiments that I was able to notice it and so did Jenni, whose calm resolve cracked a little.

To calm her, I linked my arm with hers, which worked, though I got even more sneer from the maids. I was sure I could hear them whispering criticisms and mockery. At the time I wondered... not the reason, but why so openly. Maybe it was because they were, all of them, incredibly young, barely adults, more like teenagers. Still, I wondered... I didn't have to for long.

When we arrived at the garden, full of white roses, a favorite of Princess Odette, we were led into a small path covered in bushes, which led to a big sturdy tree. Beneath it, were two tables, white and beautifully decorated, one beneath the shade and the other in full view of the burning sun. The princess was on the first, the square one, sipping tea and looking at the leaves falling with the wind. It was then that my instinct kicked. I had a bad feeling about all of this.

A maid, that was close to the princess, whispered something to her which made her look our way. With a graceful smile on her lips, perfect long blonde hair, and washed-out golden eyes, she was the personification of angelical. More so, if one laid its eyes on the semi-transparent, white gown she was wearing. To me, it almost resembled a nightgown. Something told me, she hadn't even got properly ready after bed.

We, on the other hand, while not excessively dressed to our standards, looked way too overdressed, compared to the princess. Pale blues and pinks, hair down, short heeled shoes, and very little accessories. Barely presentable for a tea party or a visit, yet the princess only wore a simple necklace, nothing more... oh... I really didn't like this.

The princess sure did, though, as her smile grew bigger as we reached closer and made our bows. She reclined in her garden chair and pointed to a seat next to her.

"Oh, dear Jennifer. Can I call you that Miss Mountnero? I feel like we are friends already." Her golden eyes shone as she patted on the chair, to enforce the placement.

"Of course your majesty." Said Jenni with a hint of blush on her face. She went to the princess's side and sat next to her. I, on the other hand, stayed glued in my place. There were two more seats on the table, but it was bad etiquette to sit without the organizer saying which one to take unless the guest knew him well enough. Besides, I already knew where I was going to sit and was not there for sure.

"Oh please call me Odette! We are friends." She said with a little excitement over her calm voice. Not much, as a princess should be calm and collected all the time.

Jenni agreed, a little overwhelmed. She looked behind to check me, still standing. It was then, that the princess noticed me. Her smile continued the same, her eyes, though, showed a hint of the same contempt the maids gave me.

"Oh yes... Miss Lucreatia, is a pleasure to have you here. Unfortunately, I am waiting for other guests so I cannot sit you next to us." She said looking at the free space beside her. There was nothing on her face besides that polite smile. "These guests are quite important and I don't have enough space to have you sit with us." Bulshit. There enough space for a chair next to Jenni. The table was square and roomy.

I just breathed, trying to maintain my posture and my temper in check. As much as I wanted to berate this stupid princess, I couldn't, or there would be more problems for me. So I just smiled back, the same shit polite smile as hers. Jenni, I noticed, started to become nervous with the situation, which propelled the princess to return her smile to my sister.

"I have a plan, of course. That is why I prepared a second table so Miss Lucreatia can join us too." With that, she pointed at the small round table that was under the sun.

I gave a bow and went to sit in the sun without much help from the maids either. The horror on Jenni's face grew, as she watched me sit alone.

"I hope is not too hot." Acknowledged the princess, while the maids sneered. They knew full well it was as I was dressed in full lady regalia, not suitable for this hot sun. Jenni's face fell with sadness as she continued to watch, unsure of what to do.

"Not at all." I gave a smile. Little princess, I don't go down so easily.

"Besides I have something to help." In a swift move, I took a small fan from under the layers of dress and started to fan myself.

The shock on their faces was priceless. Enough to pay for all the sneering.
Later that day, I would have to thank Fanny for this arrangement. My maid would be shocked at how I had used it, but I think it was damn well worthy. And I am sure in the end, she would agree with me.

The princess collected herself quickly, though I noticed her smile was no longer as neutral as before. I could care less... I just wished those idiotic princes arrived, so this tea shit could end faster. Odette was getting on my nerves.

"Your majesty, the guests have arrived." Said an old aide, whose arrival made princess Odette's attention shift to the garden path.

Finally.

From there emerged a young, blonde and washed-out golden eyes boy. Dressed in a general white military suit and with a red cape on his arms. Prince Francis, like his sister, had angelical features and that irritating polite smile. Already, I disliked him.

Behind him, I saw two wolf ears. Same ones I knew from before. Though I couldn't see Wolff's face, I grew calmer, anything was better than facing the Princess from hell. Even a boy with sharp teeth and nails.

Prince Francis gave a smile to his sister, who still was sitting on her chair. He extended his smile to Jenni, who had gotten up from her chair to bow. Then he turned to me, also bowing, and his smile disappeared. Without saying anything, I could see his clear eyes turn dark as he turned to face the princess, who continued to smile.

From behind him, appeared a black-haired prince with ruby eyes and pale skin. Prince Cedric. Serious he looked puzzled at Francis, only to notice the table arrangement.
It took 5 seconds for his shiny ruby eyes to turn dark and unsettling.

For a moment I almost felt sorry for Princess Odette. Almost. That hell princess deserved it anyway...

Uiiiiii

Uiiiiii..........  Two new characters!! What do you think about Odette?

-//---------------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!