Chapter 8- Escaping

One week later we were ready to go to the palace. Fanny and Jenni were still unsure about me going, however, they couldn't do much since I wanted to participate. Besides, as a royal edict, one would have to go, unless we came up with a good excuse. 

That was the Duke's intention, in the beginning, thinking that I would want to avoid the palace as well. The shock he got when I replied to the princess invitation before he even could talk to us, was enough to make me happy for the rest of the week.

The Duke, however, went on a sulking mode all week. Once in a while, I would see him throw the holy salt to the gate, saying that the bad luck had stayed in the house. Drama Queen...

He turned worst when the day of our visit came. On that same morning, Gobbie was swept again by government officials who needed him to prepare for an urgent assembly, a common occurrence these days. In the end, he was unable to take us to Princess Odette's palace and cried as he got dragged to work.

Good riddance Goddie!

I had told Jenni about my plan on our way to the place. Which was not a plan, more like a decision, hence why I  told her only by then. The "plan" was simple, I would pretend "to be lost" and then Jenni would ask for help from Cedric. That is it! Easy as a pie!

She was not happy about it but agreed it would be a better solution than having me going through tea with bitch princess. She didn't last the bitch princess, nevertheless, it seemed appropriate to describe the host like that. It was true anyway...

Happy that I, at least, would have Jenni on my side, I allowed myself to relax during the rest of our trip. And when we finally crossed the heavy, golden gates of the palace, I was excited for my day ahead!

That is it... Until the door of the carriage was open and I saw Joshua, with his goofy grin, waiting for us. My first instinct was to close the door back on his idiotic face. And I always went with my instinct.

What was this fool doing here??? My plans!! He was ruining my plans!!! Ahh... the idiot!!!

Jenni appeared appalled by my behavior, but I didn't care to say anything at the moment. I needed to find a solution to get rid of the idiotic fool. And fast!

Several bangs on the door came right after, courtesy of the fool's aide, who seemed displeased by my attitude.

"My ladies, is everything well?" He asked in polite tones to hide his irritation. His bangs were more and more aggressive as time went on.

Jenni was about to open the door to placate them, but I stopped her. There was something I had to tell her before we faced those two.

"Take the aide and go as fast as you can. Leave me with the idiot... I will handle him." Jenni was surprised by what I said, enough to render her speechless. She probably would have asked why I would volunteer for such a thing if we weren't already in a comprising situation.

There was no time to lose, so I opened the door and greeted the aide and the fool with an apologetic smile.

"My apologies... I was so very surprised to see you here that I did something so unbecoming. I hope you can forgive me." I sweet-talked the idiots, who, for the moment, seemed to have believed my apologies.

From the corner of my eye, I saw our own servants looking apologetic. They weren't warned about this interference at all. Of course not, the duke wouldn't have allowed it. I just gave them a small look, indicating their help wouldn't be needed. Not that they could do much without the duke, and I didn't want Gobbie messing with my plans.

Jenni stared at me as if I was sick, her normally clear eyes now clouded. It was so out of character, I had to nudge her, so she could react accordingly to the fools. She gave them then, a warm and charming smile that they returned right away.