Chapter 43- Weird Dream

I ended up alone in a sunlit room, cosy and warm. Very much like the social drawing room of the townhouse. I went to the window beside the bed and closed the curtains, letting a certain easy darkness reign over the place.

It was quiet and peaceful, a stark contrast to my frenzy state. No matter how much I massaged my temples, the headache never went away, and so I stayed up in the darkness by the bed for a long time.

Pray.

Something told me. Maybe my overworked mind.

I let out a sound in between a laugh and a scoff, utterly in disbelief. I had never prayed before. If I ever had a problem, I solved it myself.

I trusted in my capabilities much more than I trusted a silent god. That was how I lived my life. Alone. Always. No matter if I needed help, protection or answers. I always found them.

But not now,

To my sinking despair, I could not do what I did for years. And it scared me, the fact I would be one day dependent on the silence.

I shook my head with violence. Nonsense. I have to stop this self-doubt. What if I pray?

If it works. Great. Weird and strange, but great.

If not, then a good rest would help me sort things out.

I was being even more tiring than my thoughts.

My knees bent down, and I supported my elbows on the comfy mattress, my crossed fingers under my chin. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, only to open one right after when another question popped up.

What was the prayer, again?

I tried to remember Belladonna's words, but time had not been kind to my memory of it. Neither was my interest back then.

Then my mind veered to Emmanuel, and my lips curved. He always prayed when I did alchemy. Always. It was his ritual. Like setting my cauldron down for business was a ritual for me.

I just had to repeat it for myself.

With my eyes closed, I whispered, as soft as a breeze, "Goddess of light, I called on you to bring me warmth, bring me light. Bring me an answer to my empty plight."

I waited for a few awkward moments before I opened only one eye again. When I was certain nothing had changed, I laughed.

Of course. What was I expecting?

Death may exist, but that didn't mean the Goddess did as well. And if she did, I was not sure what that said about her when the only answer she gave was silence. There was no thunder, no flood, no stars descending from the sky. No sign. No reply.

Feeling my head heavy, I decided Plan B was the best option. A strong nap.

I lifted myself from the ground and jumped to the bed. With my head cushioned by a crowd of pillows, I looked at the eggshell white ceiling. The muscles of my stomach moving with each slow breath. My arms and legs sprawled over the bed as I stared into the emptiness. Until I caved in and closed my eyes.

Listening to the birds outside, to the people walking on the pavement, chatting like nothing. To the soft and almost imperceptible steps of the Di' Mello servants. Smelling the baked goods and the perfume. Of flowers.

However, as time went on, the smell grew stronger. And stronger. Almost too nauseatingly sweet.

About to sneeze, I opened my eyes, only to be greeted by a purplish sky instead of a dull ceiling. I raised my upper body with the help of my elbows and looked around. I was in a field of yellow and silver flowers that resembled sunflowers. They pointed to the sky, even though there was no sun in sight. Just like there was nothing on the horizon besides this strange flower field.