Chapter 39- Lulu is back

I felt trapped in a dark and narrow space, whose air was sinking by the minute. A glimpse of light, solitary and dying, came through a small crack on the wall. Like a moth, I reached closer to see where it led, crouched on the stone-cold floor. As the light grew stronger with my approach, I saw my hands, smaller, chubbier.

Why? I don't know. Was it a memory? But I didn't remember it that way...

Unsure of what to think, I decided the best course of action would be to continue to follow the light. I heard noises, gasps, coming from the other side. They seemed urgent and worrying, so I looked through the crack that had space for just my eye. Then I saw her...

A woman laying down, covered in blood, looking my way and smiling. I didn't understand why she was smiling as life left her, as much I didn't understand why I cried so much about it. Why my heart broke in pieces like someone had slammed a hammer over it. Abrupt and painful, I gasped for air in the middle of my cries.

Noticing her pale grey hair, I knew who she was... My body knew...

Steps came closer, and I wanted to see who it was. But my body was afraid and desperate for survival. Shaking from the tears and the underwhelming sense of dread, I stopped breathing as those steps, loud and erratic, came closer.

Fuck... I am going to die in my fucking dream...

Convinced of my end, I cursed my unluckiness in my dreams. It was not only in life that I was unlucky. Although out of nowhere, I became warm and relaxed, which surprised me enough to quiet my curses. A tender light bounded around me, almost as if made of gold, it circled me in a happy dance, enlarging itself in every turn. It flourished soon enough, blocking my vision of the person appearing beside the lady, who continued to die slowly.

Warmer and much less prone to cries, I heard Belladona's voice, which commanded gently the strange and piercing light.

"So be it your will, Goddess." was the last words I heard before I realised my senses were back.

I could and I should have opened my eyes. Yet, I noticed that aunt Belladona was talking to someone else, whose hand clenched mine and stroke it with affection. It was Jenni, whose scared and meek voice, worried me.

"Lady Beatrice was acting so crazy... neurotic even... I never thought someone could change so much." her whispers were soft, while her hands secured mine. A short tremble rushed through them. I was compelled into showing my support through a small squeeze, but it would have given away my conscious state, so I kept quiet.

Another hand clasped my opposite one, bigger and poised, the presence similar to the light that had surrounding me.

"Indeed..." admitted Belladona, her hands unmoving. "She was unleashing all her dark desires... a clear side effect..." I could feel her sigh on my arm as the High Priestess left the sentence hanging on.

Uh?! Wait a moment... side effect? Of what? The dreadful perfume?

"Side effect?" Thankfully Jenni had the same question in regards to our aunt's words. Like me, she seemed confused at them.

"Yes... " her voice, while calming, carried an edge, reminding me of our first meeting. " it was a side effect of using an object produced by the dark arts. The cane she always carried around was an alchemy object and quite powerful just from the short look I had."

"I was not aware that an alchemy object could cause such terrible desires."

Neither did I sister... neither did I... shit... fuck shit... will I turn into a delusion, smelly crazy Beatrice??? Oh noooo...