Chapter 43- Retribution is a cold bitch

I remember a beautiful garden full of daisies, roses and many others. In there, playing and laughing, was a group of powerful children. Beautiful and unconcerned children, unlike me, the daughter of a measly professor.

Since young, I wanted more. I wanted to be free of my poorness and my powerlessness. Yet no matter how much I tried to fit in, I couldn't. On my horizon, there was always him, with his profound blue eyes, which smiled with sweetness. Never to me, but I always caught them in my view. His smiles, his whispers and his turns were all for her. She enthralled even the princes, Sun and Moon, attached like mouths.

Only her, the pretty one... with her long and lavish grey hair and shimmering golden eyes. The perfection in a person. I loathed her, while others loved her without restraint. Both the princes, the Mountnero and even the Emperors. It made me sick each time she smiled so unpreoccupied, so freely, when she was nothing more than a daughter of a bankrupt baron.

I hated when she returned my scorn with a smile that I knew was of pity over my lacklustre presence. I loathed her every time he took notice of me, because I knew he only did it while she was by my side. The smile he gave me followed hers. His words were always a compliment to a comment she said. He did it all, without ever remembering my name.

His heart was hers. Like mine was his.

Her light filled the rooms she passed through, making the rest rot in perpetual darkness. But I grew of my hate, buried it down in the recess of my broken heart. I had, in some way, been vindicated. News flourished through the Empire about her fate, about how even the brightest of lights could be extinguished.

His marriage nothing more than a shamble, made my heart pulsate with victory. If I could not have him, no one would. Much less her. I lived happily for some time until I saw her again. Or her daughter... It was like the past walked and crushed the heart I had tried so hard to sew together. Then someone whispered to me "Why don't you fight for your love? Why do you give in so easily?"

The voice was right, it was time to act. This time the light wouldn't blind me and the child wouldn't relegate me to isolation. He would finally see me, notice my beauty. I would get his love and attention. But... like her mother... the child... dazzled too much... and put herself in the way of my happiness. She mocked me as her mother did before. Pushing me to the shadow I so desperately craved to get out.

I couldn't handle it anymore, so I did as the voice told me. The voice spoke of his future love, of his eyes locked on mine, of his smile that filled my heart. And I thought he would finally love me...

Then... why? Why does he look at me with those disgusting and murderous eyes?

And why do I feel such cold fingers ripping my skin apart? Why do they crawl in slow tempo, from my bareback into my heart? Why do I feel those icy hands piercing my heart, making me cry for mercy as my life blackens out?

I scream and scream, only to have the grip tighten and my tears run free like her smile once was.

The last words I heard filled me with dread and happiness.

"Beatrice... retribution is a cold bitch."

My heart was finally his, sitting in his white and snow like hands.

So what do you think about the chapter? Very dark, I know

I really liked how the chapter turned out, in some macabre way is almost beautiful in its darkness. This chapter was short and not planned originally, yet I hope you enjoyed it. Seen you next week (The Moutnero sister and brother will have a nice talk and disclose some interesting things XD)

4 chapters left to the end of Act 2!!

:)