Chapter 76-Dancing in Blood & Secrets beneath the roses

Her feet were bare and wet, Amelia did not mind. Nothing could dampen the exhilaration she was feeling. The metallic taste of blood passed through her. It enhanced her senses and sharpened her power. It called for more. Like her knives, at her hands, soaked in blood. Like her.

She was filled with blood, but not full of it. Leaving prints on the ground as it dripped from everywhere.

Amelia wondered if she ever would be satisfied. Then she laughed from within her darkness.

Not likely.

"Girl, what..." whispered a voice behind.

A little pig, she thought. One who would quench her thirst.

She turned to see him, a smile changing her features to something even darker than what she already was.

And there was he, circled by all the other dead little piggies. Surrounded by blood. He was confused and hurt. It was such a beautiful scene; she purred in happiness, causing panic in him.

The little pig squirmed and raised his sword, but her knives were faster and one lodged itself in his throat. In a quick movement, she pushed it down, cutting him in half. It rained blood, and she danced, feeling it on her skin as the body joined the others on the ground.

She laughed again, hearing the little piggies not far off. Unaware of the wolf, who, like her, was out for blood.

***

Francis played with his teacup while he watched his sister talking enthusiastically about the new fashion trends to Lady Jennifer, who could not care less about what she said. Although she pretended otherwise, remarkably well.

They were in his sister's eastern garden, which was her favorite place for afternoon tea. It had nice shades and lush bushes, sprinkled with roses of delicate colors, almost pastel.

It was her calming place, and Francis hoped it helped smooth what he was going to suggest next, just like Lady Jennifer's presence. He wanted to convince his sister to join Lord Joshua's path and take Lady Di'Mello as a mentor, even if only temperately. To ease her image back to the Emperor and to broaden her horizons a little.

To see beyond their mother.

He closed his eyes, knowing it would turn into a scene. With overthrown tea and smashed scones. Yet he needed to try, or he would regret it later.

"What is the matter, my brother? Are you will?" asked Odette.

He opened his eyes and was greeted by his sister's worried face. Her head tilted to his side, lines on her forehead, her eyes narrow. At her side was Lady Jennifer, with a similar expression. That could fool the inattentive or the naïve.

Beneath that well-rehearsed smile was just a cold deliberation. He took his eyes from Lady Jennifer and moved his attention back to his sister. Today he had to make her happy, to soothe her humor. As much as he could, to decrease the power of her fit later on.

"Nothing..." he replied with a smile. He lied.

Francis was not ill, but he was not feeling well either. His fight with Cedric affected him more than he wished for. In the end, he missed him. But he could not say to his sister and, much less would he trust Lady Jennifer with that information.

He was about to add something more substantial to his excuse when he heard a ruckus coming from out of the garden. Worried, he signaled to Fridh, who was close by, under the shade of a large oak tree to go inspect it. When Francis rose from his seat to follow him, his sister grabbed his wrist.

"What are you doing, brother?" Her tone was off. She was trying very much to stay calm, and yet she was failing miserably.

This worried him.