Chapter 38- A lost wolf and a maid

"Wolff... Wolff... " a faraway voice called out from the darkness. Little by little, it brought him back to himself, to his conscience. "It is alright... everything has ended now." the voice of prince Cedric ringed inside his head. His master, his friend, and his saviour.

Light came to his senses and inundated him with smells and visions of blood and death. The gravel ground was filled with mutilated bodies, whose expressions of horror haunted those alive. The boy was familiar with them. With the dry tears and twisted eyeballs, with the smell of sweat and desperation. It was not the first time he saw them, and wouldn't be the last, it would never be the last.

The comforting hand that squeezed his shoulder brought him back from those dead and unsettling eyes that watched him. He glanced back at his prince, who stood beside him without a scratch and without fear in his eyes. There was never fear when the prince reached for him. It relieved Wolff to see him unharmed, though a flash of worry crossed the prince's jewel-like eyes.

"I shouldn't have..." he whispered, looking around them to a circle of bodies without heads, arms and legs.

Wolff touched his long grey ears, which laid low, just like his tail. His amber eyes focused on his surroundings, noticing the robust trees that gave shadow upon them and the carnage that stood beside them, lingering, waiting for someone to take care of them.

"Say nothing, your highness, you would have marched here and I would have to protect you somehow." he replied, convict of what he wanted to say but not of what he felt.

The prince turned to him, his scarlet eyes fixed on Wolff as he assessed his words and body. With a sad sigh and a pat on Wolff's back, prince Cedric gave up on the issue.

"We must go... The Duke has returned to the manor," told Cedric as he looked to his far-right, where a stone white building stood. A building that could auberge several villages and still would have enough space for everyone to live comfortably. It looked daunting and harsh, cold like its owner. The path that led to it was surrounded by tall trees and destroyed gardens. Dying men populated it, some asking for mercy, while others, luckier, had succumbed already to the eternal night.

He followed his prince, who now walked through the path, his black booths sounding confident and rushed on the gravel. They walked in silence, watching through the corner of their eyes the Templars, who had come with orders from the High Priestess, silence the cries for mercy from their former companions, with the bitter embrace of a sword. Lapdogs like them were only useful when they obeyed, that was what people told him, though never to his face. Not until he reached the Sun Empire, at least.

Soon the cries went down, and only gravel, being danced around by heavy steps, was heard on that chilling afternoon. Not even the dusk sunset was capable of bringing any joy or warmth to the place. They reached a zone where there was no longer ground but bodies cast down, while careful to not step them, they noticed how little others cared for it. With his stomach turning, Wolff heard the strong noise of metal against metal, feet against... something not meant to be crushed under him.

Wolff was glad when he reached for the long stairs that led to the main entrance, whose wooden and white doors were now open. A row of maids appeared out of the darkness, leaving the building with a fair amount of medicines, wrappers and disinfectants each. They started to disperse through the propriety. One, however, stopped as she glanced at them, her eyes carving a hole on Wolff. He looked back at her for a moment, unsure, until he noticed he was covered in blood, only wearing ripped trousers. She moved her eyes to his and then to his ears. He sensed her fear.

But she approached carefully anyhow, bringing with her a brown basket. With a curtsey to prince Cedric and to him, she left the basket on the ground and disappeared without expressing a word. The moon prince began to yell at the girl for an explanation, though she had been long gone under the sea of chaos and maids that took place. Wolff approached the basket, one of its scents bringing a sort of familiarity. A small look and he saw a first aid kit and some easy to digest food thrown in there.

I see... she is alright...

And for the first time since this ordeal started, his tail waggled.

I hope you like to see Wolff again!! Who's next on the list of appearances? Be free to tell me your guesses!

Also, you are more than welcome to tell me what you thought of this chapter.

A romance between an aide and a maid? Could it be? You have to continue to read it to find out!! XD

----//-----//-------//----------------

In case you would like to read a horror story, you are more than welcome to read "What happened at Beldmount Boarding School" It is a special for Halloween (and it is ongoing).