Chapter 64- A lost boy

I straightened myself and looked behind the fox and Jenni. There, Eloise and Amelia stared at me with interest. While Fanny and Wolff watched with a mix of worry and perplexity.

Cedric, like his good friend, the fox, had a delighted smile. As if this was the most fun he had had in a while.

With my hands on my back, I feigned innocence. My cheeks flushed and my eyes sparkled.

Francis chuckled but said nothing, and we proceeded inside. Fridh stood near the entrance unapologetic with the basket full of choco balls in one hand and a very vocal Princess Lola in the other. He entered first, depositing both loads in the short table near two lounge sofas of spring yellow, closer to the bookshelves and in the most secluded corner of Francis's office.

Tea was served soon after we all gathered around the table (Princess Lola at my lap), both aides and Fanny some steps away from the couches. Our only treat was the choco balls, but in my perspective, that was more than enough.

The awkwardness was as deep as the silence, though, thankfully just as short, since Francis, still with the cup in his hand, turned to Jenni in front of him.

"Lady Jennifer, I am afraid my presence at your ladyship's office was for something else other than for a nice tea."

We all gathered that...

Jenni put the cup and its saucer on the table and waited with her hands secured on her legs.

Francis did the same and, for a short moment, he looked conflicted. Almost exhausted. "Princess Odette, since of last night is allowed to have visitors."

We all grew quieter. We all knew what that meant.

Jennifer continued to wait, while Francis became more agitated with his hands, tapping his fingers on his shaking knee. "However, she has refused anyone who has tried to visit her. Along with food and any support from the maids assigned to her... The Empress is worried, in fact, so much she is becoming restless herself."

You mean crazier, Francis.

He gave Jenni a look, made of hope. "Could you try it, Lady Jennifer? She may be more open to receiving you than me."

Not sure why, though...

Jennifer gave me a short glance, pondering her choices.

"Of course, you could take Lady Eloise and Lady Amelia with you." he smiled at them. "It may be even better."

Eloise smiled back and nodded in agreement, propping a positive response from Jennifer.

Though not on Amelia, who refused. "Princess Odette has no favourable opinions of my person. I am not sure my presence would help to open her heart."

It was true, though it was also hardly something one would say to a royal prince. Francis, on his end, was unsure of how to react, although he did not appear offended. He gave a quick glance to Lord Fridh, who approached.

"Lady Amelia, mother has made new illustrations and sent them for me to keep. Would you like to see them?" asked the aide.

Everyone gave him his attention. I in special, because I had a complicated time understanding where he wanted to go. The goal was clear, but the how to get it there was not so much.

Not until Amelia spoke with an uncharacteristic shine in her eyes. "Aunt has made more? I thought she had given up on drawing."

"She restarted it again, it seems." he replied, adjusting his coat and it making his sun pin glint a little with the change of light.