Chapter 41- A place worlds away

"Please calm down, Lady Raphaela." I requested, going over to Amelia and extending a sharp nod at the knights.

They waited for Amelia's confirmation before they slowly released the girl from their grasp. Raphaela shrugged them off before raising herself up. I took a step in her direction and her chin flew awake, although she remained in silence. Waiting.

I felt the little spider climbing my ankle while I bore on the hate emanating from Lady Raphaela. When the spider took her place on my shoulder, I noticed a set of eyes on us. Not just the disapproving glances from Jenni or the concerned interest from Eloise, but others. They came from the walls, from the broken windows, from the roofs, from the little openings on the ground level of certain buildings. They were chilling and privy to everything.

"I think is best we talk somewhere private." I braved another step, my eyes veering to either side, searching for the hidden onlookers. Although I saw nothing but shadows.

Raphaela's spiteful laugh caught me by surprise. It was loud and crackling, making her head haul back with its strength. We all kept quiet as she went on, beating herself in the chest during the fit of laughter. I felt queasy and my mouth became dry. My throat pleaded for water. Instead, I remained calm and waited for her to finish. Eventually, she would.

And she did.

"Private place..." she muttered, turning around with her arms wide open. "Maybe a more serene place... Here?!" she shouted at me, making me jump back a step. "You, my lady, are dumber than you look."

Raphaela sneered at me in a similar fashion to when we last saw each other, back at her tea party years ago. "Have you any idea, my lady, what has been my life since your damned lie? Because of you, I lost my family, my life. Everything." she choked at the end, making herself small for the first time since we had started this conversation.

I let her be for a while, allowing her space and time to vent her frustrations. It would be easier to talk after. However, someone approached me from the side. It was Jenni, who had pulled her hood back enough for everyone to see her golden hair and remarkably clear blue eyes.

"Lady Raphaela," she started in an even tone, almost detached. "Your father was a criminal. He did crimes against the crown. And you attacked the daughter of a great duke. Two of the biggest offences in the Sun empire."

Raphaela recoiled when she saw Jenni and hugged herself for comfort.

"If my father was a criminal, then all lords of this glorious land are criminals. And I..." Raphaela bit her lip, turning her eyes back to the dirty ground. "I did what princess Odette told me to do." She lifted her face, and I saw tears in her eyes. "I just wanted to fit in. Is that a crime?!"

Not exactly. Her crime or her mistake was to trust someone who didn't care for her well-being if she ever got caught. Odette could not care less where Raphaela would end up. And Francis would make sure his sister would be safe from any repercussions over the incident at the Rivera's house. Although I didn't believe he was aware of Raphaela's situation. Of that, I was certain.

He wouldn't have stood so low. Foxy or not, he was still the prince of this land, and Raphaela was his subject. She was his responsibility.

I was worse. No matter what, I should have known. I was no child, and while I didn't regret defending myself, I regretted not taking another action. To not care. In the end, I was the adult; she wasn't.

Taking a deep breath, I approached her again with my hand extended. "Maybe we can continue in an-"

She slapped my hand away. Jenni and Amelia were ready to retaliate, but I stopped them with a glance over my shoulder.