settantatré

𝐍𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄

madison

"the patient has a gunshot wound in his thigh which is tearing up his ligament. the ct scan shows that there's a blood clot obstructing oxygen from traveling through the artery that provides oxygen to the brain from the heart." the doctor explains to us. "we have to transport him to his home hospital through helicopter because he has to undergo surgery and we need his parents signature since he's a minor."

i rubbed my forehead and kairi rubbed my back, "can we go with him?" i asked and she nodded.

"yes of course, i'll let the pilot know." she told us and we nodded before she walked away.

"i should call lauren." i said as i grabbed my phone and dialed lauren's number.

"hello?" she asked. "madison, how's everything?"

"it's not looking good." i sniffled as i wiped my nose with a tissue. "they're going to take him to a hospital in totowa and perform surgery if his parents approve."

"oh my goodness." lauren said. "i'm with alejandro right now, but your dad and raquel are with mattia's parents right now."

"how are they?" i asked.

"your dad told me that his mom threw up from the news." she explained and my heart sunk to my stomach. "this is all over the news."

i sighed, "i can't help but feel like this is my fault." i told her.

"it's not your fault." kairi said.

"why would it be your fault?" lauren asked me.

"i think i saw angelo run with a gun and get into mariano's car." i said and i heard her gasp through the phone.

"what?" she asked in shock. "i don't think he'd drive all the way from florida to new jersey."

"i know his car when i see it and there was a florida license plate on it." i told her. "it has to be."

she sighed, "where did you see him?" she asked.

"the helicopter is ready, we need to go as soon as possible." the doctor told us and i nodded.

"lauren, i'll explain everything once i'm there. i have to go." i said and hung up.

i followed the doctors as they pushed mattia on a stretcher towards the elevator. we got inside the wide elevator and went up the floors, to the roof.

once we reached the roof, they first put mattia inside the helicopter before we got on. "here put this on." a guy said as he handed us headphones.

"thank you for everything." kairi told the doctor that attended us.

"he'll get better, we just have to move fast." she said and i nodded. "i wish you guys lots of hope."

the helicopter then went up and we were on our way back to totowa. the only thing i want is for mattia to wake up. i don't care that he cheated on me and lied to me, i just want him back. i don't care that we never end up dating or that he breaks my heart again. as long as he's alive, everything is okay. i want him aware of what's going on. i want him awake.

"how long until we get there?" asked kairi.

"about fifty minutes to an hour." he said and i sat back and stared at mattia who was constantly being monitored by the paramedic that joined us.

+

an hour later, we arrive at the hospital and they separate kairi and i from mattia. we're brought back to the waiting room where mattia's family, my dad, raquel, alejandro, lauren, and kairi's family was at.