42

"Hey, you're not that bad actually," Remy smirked as he glanced over to see Virgil focusing on the little spell he had been teaching him. "For someone in the Evocation school, you actually took to Enchantment pretty well as well. I'm surprised."

"Thank you?" Virgil whispered anxiously as Remy just laughed.

"Keep up the practice and you might just be able to knock some powerful asshole on their asses." Virgil sighed as he just crashed in exhaustion. Remy's smirk fell a bit as he noticed how tired the younger seemed. "Hey, kid-..."

"Not a kid." Virgil instantly cut in making Remy pale a bit with a curt nod.

"I was just... You don't look all too well. Why don't we pull back a bit?" 

"I'm fine." Virgil groaned as he forced himself to stand up and stretch. "I just... I'm fine." Virgil let out a push of air making his bangs fall over his eyes and he frowned at all the white he saw. He glanced over at the door in thought before shaking himself out of his mind. "What time is it?"

"Nearly dinner." Virgil nodded as he helped Remy up to his feet. "Why?"

"I was wondering... If I could handle dinner tonight. Roman said he was going to try and get word back home so he was going to be too busy. And I just thought..." Remy chuckled as he nudged Virgil lightly by the shoulder. 

"Don't sweat it, Babes. You want to go ham in the kitch... Then go full pot roast. I don't care. Just don't touch my coffee... I will kill you." Virgil rolled his eyes as he watched Remy leave the room laughing. "I mean it!" He teased before Virgil finally followed him out.

"Got it, you coffee addict." Virgil practically skipped into the kitchen as he beamed. He had been feeling down. With Roman being the way he had been lately his mind was in a tizzy but... Maybe... Just maybe, if Virgil could prove to him he wasn't a child anymore... Maybe Roman would see it too? Maybe Roman would see him for real? It was worth a try. 

Roman had seen him cook before but he'd never tried anything he's made. In fact, he's only reason seen in cook personally once. Virgil wanted this to be complicated but delicious... something that cleary a child would not be able to cook. He might have been being obvious but... Damn it. His love was treating him like a little boy and he couldn't take it. He loves Roman. He just... he didn't know what he had to do to get Roman to see him clearly.

"Alright... Here we go." Virgil giggled as he started to pull things out. It didn't take long for the scent of food to waft through everything. He heard the footsteps before he even registered that someone had walked up behind him. Suddenly he had arms wrapped around his waist and he melted into the embrace as Roman hummed softly into him.

"Smell's good." Virgil blushed as he just smiled awkwardly and continued cooking.

"I'm glad. Are you going to be uh... e-eating with us or..." Roman's eyes darkened as he suddenly pulled away making Virgil shiver at the chill that ran down his spine. "Roman?"

"I don't see why I can't. I can always finish the letter later. It's not like Logan can't just use his power to see where we are." Roman smiled tensely, his eyes glassy and dull as he turned and just leaned against the counter. "You were practicing sleep magic with Remy today, right? How did you do?"

"According to him, I did well. I'm just happy to be learning something. Emile even said I can take his old textbooks from when he was learning. And Remy offered to get me my own spellbook so I could start building up my own library." Virgil hummed happily as Roman just crossed his arms and stared blankly at nothing.

"You might not have been born a witch but they sure took to you as if you were one. I'm glad, Virgil. You seem really proud of yourself." Virgil nodded as he continued to cook completely oblivious to the way Roman watched him with this sad look in his eyes. "I'm proud of you too you know." Virgil hesitated, his eyes flashing as he glanced over to see Roman force a smile. "You're so strong. So much power in such a small package." 

"I'm not small." Roman smirked with a glimmer in his eyes as he just shrugged. 

"You are to me. Vampire or not I was turned when I was in my early 50's." Virgil's eyes shot wide as he froze stiff in shock.

"HOW?! You look like you're in your late 20's!" Roman just shot him this look before showing his fangs as if it should have been a clear answer. Then again it was. When a vampire is turned its body doesn't just... change to have fangs and get stronger. Turned vampires always look younger and more attractive. A sanguine's greatest weapon is their sex appeal. It's why they're flirty when they want someone's blood. The best way to get what they want is to lower someone else's guard to get it.

"See. To me are small." Virgil grimaced as Roman poked him lightly on the arm. "Better get used to it, Kiddo. It's going to be a while before that'll change." 

"Unless you turn me." Roman's face fell instantly, that daze only getting stronger as Virgil chuckled over his joke. He was only teasing after all. "I mean think about it. If I turn... I'd be this small and adorable forever." Roman didn't say anything. He just walked over to the table and sat down, as the other two walked into the kitchen. Remy beamed over the sight of everything but Emile... Emile paled at the raging emotions that flurried about the place. His eyes darted between the two before he sighed and just joined Remy and Roman over at the table. 

When Virgil plated everything hardly anything was said. They just all ate in silence. Silence... Silence Roman made thick as he avoided even looking up at anyone.

 By the time everyone was finished the air was so thick someone could cut it with a knife. Roman just took a deep breath as Virgil started to take everyone's plate just barely managing not to reach out for him with the youngest took his.

"Thank you, kiddo." Emile's eyes shot wide as Roman choked on his own words. "That was splendid."

"Thanks." Virgil cut out coldly making Roman's eyes flash as he watched Virgil walk off to take care of everything. He just sighed as he started to get up himself.

"I uh..." Roman groaned at the shake in his voice. "I'm going to go out... hunting." Virgil's eyes dazed as Roman smiled, hoping to hide the way his hands shook. "I'll be back late so... don't wait up for me."

"Hey, Roman, wait!" Emile called out as he raced after the vampire. Virgil just gave up and started for his room giving Remy a quiet good night. Roman frowned as he paused at the door finally noticing the witch that was chasing after him. "Roman..."

"What? I'm just going hunting. I told you. I'll stick to a mile back so I don't bother any townsfolk-..."

"No, that..." Emile sighed as he tried his best to calm his nerves. "That's not why I stopped you. As much as I don't particularly trust Vampires, I made an oath... and I don't hate your kind. So... As a doctor... You and I need to talk."