13

"So exactly when was your uh... 'time'?" Virgil asked softly as the seconds tick back. After that whole scene, Virgil had to admit he didn't really feel all that frightened to ask things now. It was clear Roman had no shame and was blunt. Well... actually he already knew that considering how he spoke about his scent and blood all the time. Roman was very blunt. "What I mean is... when were you born?"

"770 bc." Virgil stopped cold, eyes wide in shock and Roman just laughed. "What? I told you I was old. I said I would be one of the oldest you'll probably ever meet."

"I DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD BE BEFORE THE BIRTH OF CHRIST OLD!" Virgil screeched out making Roman's eyes darken a bit. "Where exactly are you from then?!"

"It depends on the time your asking." Roman shrugged a bit as he looked away and sighed. "I don't really know where I was born but... my parents told me they found my brother and I floating in the river Tiber. they took us in and raised us as if their own. Most of that time I lived my life as a shepherd." Virgil couldn't hold back the chuckle at that but Roman didn't mind. He found himself smiling fondly just at the sound alone.

"How did you go from shepherd to king?" Roman smiled more as he nudged the other while they walked, making Virgil sputter a bit at the vampire's playfulness.

"Surprisingly it was due to a fight. Well... the fights what started me down the path anyway." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman let himself get lost in the nostalgia, something he very rarely allows. "My brother and I were out doing our chores as usual when we got into a fight with some other shepherds. We didn't realize they were anything special they were on our land but... They ended up capturing my brother so... I uh..."

"Go on." Roman smiled awkwardly as Virgil egged him on with this look of interest. "What happened?"

"They were royal shepherds and had taken him to the king. So... I may have... banded a group of people together to storm the castle and kill the king just so I could get him back." Virgil's eyes widened in awe as Roman chuckled softly at his expression. 

"I-Is that... Uh... I mean... did that make you... um... I don't uh..." Roman just shook his head making Virgil pale a bit over everything.

"No, that didn't make me king. It would have but neither I nor my brother wanted the crown. We just didn't care about it. We gave it to someone else and took off." Virgil's eyes narrowed in thought as he tried to go over everything. He knew the story sounded familiar as if he had heard about it before but he still couldn't determine what it was.

"But... I'm still wondering where you're from." Roman's eyes darted over to his to see the calculating and determined look Virgil had, actually surprising him a bit over how curious Virgil was about it all. He really wasn't expecting someone to care any. "I mean... I'm just at a loss."

"I'm not entirely sure why you care." Virgil groaned trying to bite back the blush he knew was going to be there. He was just curious. It didn't matter. It wasn't like he really cared about any of it all. Roman intrigued him. He was a VERY old vampire with dark caramel-colored skin, and decently lengthed deep firey red hair that you didn't often see on people let alone of his tone, but... Virgil couldn't deny it worked well for him. His strong features and prominent structure is also something that Virgil hasn't seen on many people either. Determining ethnicity though appearance alone proved... impossible, but his accent. "Virgil?"

"I just don't understand." Roman frowned noticing how the human was practically scrutinizing him to pieces. He didn't really know how to feel about it but the self-consciousness he buried deep in him was beginning to bubble up. "Your appearance alone is sticking but I can't even figure your accent out."

"My accent?" Virgil nodded as he pointed at his limply with a frown.

"I can't tell if you sound Greek, Spanish, French, or all three. Then there are times you sound a bit Italian but the pronunciations are off by too much of a margin. Seriously... Where are you from?" Roman just stood there blinking as the stunned silence surrounded him. He was taken aback by just how curious Virgil was and if he was being honest... He had to admit that he was very pleased about it. "I want to say you're Greek as that's what you sound more like than anything but... I still can't say for certain."

"Greek is probably the best you're going to determine it, Virgil." Roman teased slightly as he just shook his head. "I must say though... It does surprise me how the gods must smile down on me so."

"Oh? Why would the gods do that?" Virgil asked with a slightly teasing tone back, making Roman's chest twinge a bit.

"To be giving such a gift as you but... Your name." Virgil tensed suddenly at the mention of it. He wasn't exactly very proud of his name yet Roman only flushed a bit more. "It's a Roman poet."

"A-A what?"

"Publius Vergilius Maro." Virgil just stood there blinking as Roman's eyes shined in awe. "Apollo must have blessed you... or me... or both."

"You really do see me a gift from the gods... don't you?" Roman nodded happily as Virgil's heart fluttered a bit at the thought. "I'm no gift, Roman. Especially not from the gods."

"Then Jupiter stick me down." Virgil jumped at the sudden serious tone the vampire gave him. When nothing happened Roman just smirked sassily making Virgil's face flush horribly. "And yet Jupiter lays silent. I believe my statement to be correct. You are a gift from the gods, blessed with a roman name... and I for one am... very happy." Roman growled those last two words out make Virgil completely crash as his whole body went numb on him. Roman just chuckled before glancing up at the sky and beaming. "It's getting dark. Do you want to stargaze?"

"S-St-targ-gaze?" Virgil stammered out still feeling the heat to his cheeks as Roman nodded like a child, that desperate grin on his lips. "O-Ok. Y-Yea. Sure. I'll s-stargaze with you... I-I-If you uh... want to."

"Come on, Doll." Roman took his hand gently only making Virgil hyper-aware of the heat still coursing through him. "I know the perfect place. You're going to love it."