45

"Roman! Virgil!" Patton giggled as he raced out of the castle to greet the two. He hugged Roman first only to stiffen quite harshly over the massive avalanche of emotions that writhed in the royal. "R-Ro?"

"Hey, Patton." Roman smiled sadly, understanding the tears in his friend's eyes were over his own emotions. He knew Patton well enough to know the second he touched him he felt EVERYTHING Roman was. "You ok?"

"Are you?!" Patton whisper yelled making Roman chuckled softly as he just nodded. He glanced back over at the young fae and Patton could feel that pain Roman felt worsen, making his eyes darken. "Ro-..."

"I'll be fine. Thank you, Patton." Roman pulled away lessening the intensity of the emotions Patton read off him, even if he could still feel them. "Right now, however, I must check in with Logan. Do you know where he is?"

"Um... Yea. He said he was going to be in the study." Roman just nodded as he walked off leaving Patton there to watch with a very worried look in his eyes.

"He's been off for a while now." Patton jumped feeling the sudden spark of pain beside him only to see Virgil had walked over to him. "And considering how he's suddenly changed with me... I must have done something."

"Awe, kiddo, you can't..." Virgil flinched suddenly making Patton pale. "Kiddo?"

"Please don't call me that? I'm not a child. I'm not..." Patton smiled sadly as he held his arms open letting Virgil collapse into him sobbing. "I'm not a child."

"I know that. You're big and strong and capable." Patton whispered softly not liking how either of his friends was suffering. 

"Why doesn't Roman see it?" Patton's eyes darkened as Virgil just broke down in his arms. "I'm trying. I'm trying, Pat, but... He just keeps pushing away and I... I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

"Come now... Why don't the two of us go bake something?" Virgil sniffled as he gave the empathic vampire a confused look. "Baking always makes me feel better. Plus a nice distraction would help I think. Something to get your mind off of that mean ol'royal."

"Patton, he's your king." Patton's eyes flashed feeling how the emotions twinged around him. He could feel just how badly Virgil was hurting and he hated it. 

"Kings shouldn't hurt those they care about. So for now... For now, he's just Roman." Virgil chuckled lightly as Patton started to lead him inside. "Come on, Stormcloud. Let's get that mind of yours focused on something else." Roman stood there against the wall watching the two walk past. His eyes filled with tears as Virgil just numbly followed along. Roman's hand went to his chest feeling the agony through the bond. The emotions he felt from Virgil mixed horribly with the ones burning through himself putting him in a spiral of never-ending tears.

"It's for the best." Roman clenched his fist tightly around his shirt as his chest felt like several cinder blocks were placed on it making it excruciating just to breathe. "Even if it hurts... I don't have a choice. I'm sorry." He sighed as he forced himself to relax, or at least appear that way. He heard everything they had said and... Honestly, he didn't blame Patton. He would have said and done the same. Actually... If it were Roman he would have fought the damned man who dared to hurt his... his... 

"My love." Roman smiled as he forced himself to turn away and make his way towards the study. "I'm sorry, Virgil. I don't know what else to do." He cleared his throat making sure his face was clear of any tears. The last thing he wanted was to appear in any way breaking down. He was a king. He had to look the part. He gently knocked on the door. His study or not, he didn't want to startle anyone should a conversation be happening. Instead, all Roman heard a subtle 'come in, your highness' and Roman chuckled. "Logan..."

"You've returned." Logan smiled softly as he looked up from all this paper he had littered before him on the table. "All is well, I presume? How is... Virgil?" Roman could see the hesitation the other had over even asking but he still appreciated the attempt. Logan was trying to get past Virgil's history just as many others are as well. It isn't easy to forget a hunter's past... Even still... Roman was happy. 

"He's with Patton right now. Baking..." Logan's eyes widened as Roman carefully made his way to the table and sat down. "Any news on my brother?"

"Just got back and already back to work?" Logan smirked as he lightly teased, despite the flinch Roman made. What else was he supported to do?

"As if you hadn't expected it of me... Why else would you have been waiting here for my arrival?" Logan just nodded as he turned back to the papers before him. "So, has he sent notice?"

"Yes... a lot." Roman groaned at the slight frown his friend made over it all. "I'm still trying to sift through it to determine what is actually important."

"It's all important to him."

"How is dark green mossy mud that looks to be the consistency and color of..." Roman had to bite back a chuckle seeing Logan's face pale in disgust. "How is that important?"

"As I said... It's important to him. If he's talking about that, am I to assume he's at least... alive?" Logan rolled his eyes as he passed over a page making Roman's eyes light up. 

"We received that shortly before your return. So far all I can garner from it is he's managing some headway. Hunters are pushing several parties in his direction but he's not sure if it's enough to get the desired outcome." Logan paused for a second seeing Roman's worried gaze. "Something is keeping at least some of them in this area... as if they're preparing for something... or they know something is going to happen."

"As much as I'd love to blame it on his intrusive thoughts again..." Roman sighed as he set the page down and frowned. "His gut is usually right. Have the guard beef up security around the perimeter and inform all vampires out on missions to be extra cautious. If things get worse... we might need to call them back for their safety."

"As you wish, My king." Roman just nodded as he started to get up only to freeze feeling that ache burned worse in his chest. His eyes teared up before he could even stop it. "Roman? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Roman forced the lie through his teeth as he started for the door. "It's just been a long journey. I'm going to rest."

"What about your debriefing?" Roman groaned as he shot the other a look making Logan's eyes widen seeing the tears in the king's eyes. "Roman?"

"I am tired. I am going to rest. We will continue this after."