52

Roman shifted slightly in bed with a hum. He didn't know when he had fallen asleep but he had very pleasant dreams. Sure they made him sad as they were about him and Virgil but... They were still very pleasant. He smiled as he snuggled up closer to the thing he was laying on. The scent lulling him in even in his slumbering haze. He sighed as he nuzzled up against it only to stop smelling the subtle scent of dried blood. His eyes fluttered open to reveal he was laying over Virgil. His eyes widened at the sight of dried blood on Virgil's lip and his chest twinged. 

"My love..." Roman carefully got up and grabbed a wet cloth from the bathroom before walking over to Virgil and gently dabbing his lip clean. Virgil fussed a bit over the cold drip and Roman smiled softly, gently brushing the sleeping fae's hair out of his eyes. "Virgil."

"Roman?" Roman's eyes shined as Virgil's fluttered open before the younger smiled tiredly at the sight of the other. "You're up."

"Yea... I am." Roman gently continued to dab Virgil's lip clean making Virgil put and whine over it before the king just sighed and pulled away. "Are you ok?"

"Ok? What..." Virgil ran his tongue over his lip only to wince at the sharp pain and his memories all came back. "Oh. Right. I'm ok, Roman. I just bit my lip is all."

"What are you doing in here?" Roman finally asked as the two of them started to get up. "Not that waking up in your arms was unpleasant, I just..."

"Don't worry about it, Roman." Virgil cut him off quickly as he started for the door. "Just as long as your ok. That's all that matters."

"Virgil-..."

"Don't worry about it, Roman." Virgil repeated, opening the door before Roman could even finish. Virgil hesitated a bit before sighing and shaking his head. "Don't avoid me." Roman's eyes shot up the second Virgil whispered that out, the younger refusing to turn back to look at him. "Don't do that. Don't avoid me. I can't take it and... I know you can't either."

"Virgil-..."

"I'm serious, Roman." Virgil finally turned a bit to meet his gaze with a serious look and Roman crashed. "I understand your trying to distance yourself. I understand you want this to be platonic... I-I can even understand why that would be... but you CAN'T just avoid me. What about your promise?"

"I'll still feed, Virgil-..."

"Don't avoid me." Virgil cut in one last time seeing the way Roman's eyes fell in defeat. "Don't avoid me just because you can't lose me." Virgil's grip on the door only tightened more. "You'd only end up losing me faster." Roman flinched violently as the door closed making his mind latch on to the fact that Virgil was gone. His hand went to his chest as he tried to calm his breathing down. He could feel the pain Virgil was in... the sense of betrayal... abandonment. It only served to hurt the vampire more. He hurt his love like that. He hurt Virgil by trying to protect himself. The guilt and self hate over it all... it burned him to ash.

"VIRGIL!" Roman raced to follow after not wanting to let his love go for even a second only... 

"Your Highness." Roman froze instantly the second he was called, Virgil mere steps ahead of him. Virgil had heard and stopped to, his concern showing in his eyes as the two of them turned to see a guard holding this disk with a very grim look in his eyes. "I'm afraid... The hunters have sent word." 

"Impossible," Virgil whispered as he joined the two others. Roman just stood there tense as the guard handed the disk over. "They don't know about this castle how would they..."

"It was brought in with the latest drop from one of the parties sent out. It seems as though the hunters used that to get the message to us." The guard's eyes only darkened more as he stared at the ground. "There's more... in the study. Mr. Fontaine has been going over everything. I was told to inform you."

"Thank you. You may go now," was all Roman said in response as the knight swiftly left before anything else can be seen. Roman held the disk close as Virgil tried to work through everything.

"How... how could they have... I... I don't understand."

"It's ok, Virgil." Roman's voice was cold and dripping with ice as he tried to hold his temper back. "Contact was bound to happen eventually."

"But this is too soon. Remus is literally out there right now trying to distract them. How..." Virgil choked back the fear in him as his body completely fell in horror. Roman's eyes darkened as he glanced over at the other with concern only to see the pure and unabated panic Virgil was in.

"Virgil..." Roman dropped to his knees as he quickly took Virgil's hands in his gently rubbing his thumbs over them as he tried to coax the younger back to the present. They've been through this before. Virgil's had attacks. He's far more prone to them than Roman is and the king has had his fair share of them. Roman knew just how to help him to get him back out of his mind. He went through the routine, gently coaxing at the younger with patterns and soft hums until Virgil was in his arms crying softly, his panic and horror, now just bad anxiety. It wasn't good... but it better than before. "It's going to be ok, Love."

"I'm scared." Virgil's voice shook as Roman gently rubbed his back soothingly. "I'm scared, Roman. The hunters... They don't just send messages. They had to have done something. They know about this place now. They know... They... What if they come here? What if they do something? What I lose you?" Roman's eyes flashed as Virgil's words hit him hard. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're just as scared as I am then." Roman admitted sadly with a soft sigh. "I don't want to lose you either. You know that, Virgil. We've had these conversations before. I don't know what the hunters are planning. I don't know what the future holds but... I can promise I won't let anything happen to either of us. You won't lose me. I won't allow it so... Just breathe, baby. It's going to be ok... and as soon as your ready... we need to see what's on this disk."

"It won't be anything good." Roman's eyes darkened as he just nodded.

"I know."

It didn't take them too much longer to calm down and make their way to the study. Logan didn't even address them as he normally would far too focused on the items before him to even see the king had walked in. Roman didn't care. He simply grabbed the computer Logan had stored away in case it was ever needed and put the disk in. 

What was on it was far worse than they ever expected. 

Roman and Virgil stood there in shock watching as the hunters brutally murdered several vampires from the very party the disk had been sent from. Roman felt numb. He's seen death before. He's caused quite a bit of it while human, and that count only grew in spades when he turned. Death was not something he was afraid of but this... This was sick. This was something seen in savages. This was monstrous.

"This is war."