24

"Roman-... Oh!" Virgil jumped seeing Logan standing there beside Roman with a stack of papers and he awkwardly stumbled back. Roman smiled softly the second he saw Virgil but it was clear Logan was not happy at all. "I-I'm sorry. I should have knocked. I didn't realize you were busy." Virgil quickly tried to excuse himself only for Roman to suddenly have him in his arms with a smile.

"Don't go." Roman muttered quietly as he gently led Virgil back towards the table. "You can stay."

"No. No, it's ok." Virgil pulled his hands free making Roman pout as he shook his head, trying really hard to ignore the glare the Psi Vamp was giving him. "You really need to focus. It's ok Roman. I-I'll just see you later."

"I want you to stay. Besides..." Roman's eyes grew dark as he sighed and turned back to the mess of papers before him. "You should know about what's happening anyway."

"Are you certain about this, Your Majesty?" Roman smiled seeing the worry in his friend's eyes as Logan gripped his notes tightly to try and hide it. Roman simply pulled Virgil in nuzzling his nose into the other's neck with a hum as he nodded. 

"I trust him."  Virgil's neck tingled at the warm breath tickling his skin. Virgil cleared his throat nudging the other gently as to pull his attention away from what was no doubt his scent. Roman's eyes snapped up, started a bit, only to blush as he realized what he was doing. He hadn't realized he was that hungry. He pushed the urges down as he turned back to Logan with a more serious look in his eyes, his arm still wrapped around Virgil's waist to hold him close. "Continue please."

"Right." Logan withheld a groan as he opened his notes back up and started to go down the list again. "We've made contact with your brother. He is expected to arrive sometime with the week."

"That's amazing." Roman beamed as he subconsciously cuddled closer to Virgil. "I wasn't expecting him to respond quickly."

"That could be due in part to his companion, Sir." Logan added making Roman's eyes widen as he gave the other a subtle understanding nod. "Next, I uh..." Logan's eyes darkened as he shot a glance at Virgil instantly making Roman's blood grow colder. "The Elder Council had been made aware of your pet..."

"He's not a pet." Roman hissed quietly making Virgil smile at how quickly Roman reacted to shut it down.

"Regardless, they sent their response. They are not too pleased about a hunter being in the castle. They stated in their letter they recommend measures be taken to rectify it as... and I quote... 'his presence is a danger to all who live there including the king himself'... end quote." Roman growled as he held Virgil even closer his hands starting to shake as his mind tumbled under the words.

"I understand the council's concern. However, I am still high king and as such my words... is final." His voice came out sharp and strong as Virgil's eyes widened feeling the tremors going through his vampire. "Virgil stays." Virgil instantly pushed himself up to whisper in Roman's ears making the king falter.

"Don't worry, Ro. I'm not leaving." Roman's eyes darted to Virgil's as the human just smiled reassuringly. "Just breathe ok?" Roman nodded tensely as he rubbed his hand over Virgil's arm to help ground himself. The second the idea of Virgil passed his mind he was sent reeling. "That's it." Virgil whispered in his ear seeing the vamp taking slow yet short breaths. "You're doing good, Ro. I promise I'm not going anywhere."

"Is there... uh..." Roman coughed as he pulled away noticing right away how Logan was glaring at Virgil. "Is there any news on the group we sent out?" Logan finally pulled his gaze from Virgil who curled up slightly in anxiety, as he shook his head and turned back to his notes.

"So far there has been no indication they've come into contact with hunters. They've been sticking to the route and plan of sending notice every day. Nothing of note as of yet." 

"C-Can I see the route?" Logan growled instantly at Virgil's question but Roman just nodded and shifted through the papers until he revealed a map and pointed it out. Virgil jumped in quickly, his face paling the second he saw it. "You should reroute them." Roman's eyes widened as Virgil pointed over towards this one town. "Take them more to the east by tailing the 49 towards Fervington." He went back to the original route and pointed just below the trail with a grimace. "There's a base around here if I remember correctly. Wait hold on..." Virgil ran about searching the place before finding a marker and jumping back over, drawing circles around places making Logan go to stop him but Roman just held a hand up to stop him. "These are all the places I know that have bases and..." Virgil pulled a large piece of paper not wanting to muddy the map more with circles that would only end up being temporary. He laid it over the map seeing the detail come through the slightly transparent paper and he smiled creating more circles and lines to know which direction to have it over the map for future use. "... known party locations."

"How would you even know this?" Logan growled as Roman just eyed the map and paper taking it all in.

"I was one of the trusted at my base. Because of my lineage, everyone wanted to be friends with me... have me in their corner. That meant giving me information they wouldn't normally share to insure my trust. That was the only 'good' that really came out of it anyway." Virgil whispered as he watched Roman grab another piece of paper and the marker tracing a new trail that avoided everything safely, taking the 49 like Virgil had suggested, making Logan's eyes widen at the sight of it.

"Will that work?" Logan nodded as he started to draw it into his notes righting down the trail info as he went.

"I'll send word to the council and the team." He quickly called out before leaving Roman and Virgil alone in the study. Virgil eyed the map with a gleam in his eyes only to squeak in surprise as Roman pulled him in again.

"Why would you help us?" Virgil hesitated, blink a bit as he genuinely didn't think about it, making Roman smile seeing the shock in him. "Did you even realize what you were doing?" Seeing how Virgil only shook his head made Roman chuckle a bit with a grateful expression, swaying them both slightly in their spot. "Well, I appreciate it regardless. It'll save a lot of lives now with what you just gave us." Virgil's eyes shined as Roman started to trail off and gush about all the things they could do. It was refreshing to see the passion the other had. It made his heart flutter if he was being honest. He couldn't look away even if he wanted to. Roman finally noticed the smile Virgil had as he watched him and he paused with a curious quirk of his brow. "What?"

"Nothing." Virgil shook his head as Roman pouted a bit trying to think through why the other would have just been staring at him only to jump up as he remembered something. "You came in here for a reason. What was it you wanted?"

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to walk the gardens again. Walking deems to be the only thing we do but... I just..."

"It's going to be getting really dark soon." Virgil's eyes flashed as he smirked and just leaned closer to the vampire. 

"I've always liked the night." Roman's eyes widened with a shimmer as he quickly nodded letting Virgil lead him out with a giggle. "Good. Let's go."