20

Virgil glanced around the hall he was walking through with a frown. His mind was lost in thought after everything that's happened since he was brought there. His mind was in a tumble. His emotions all over the place but... even with all that uncertainty in him he couldn't stop the smile that graced his lips just thinking about that stupid vampire. Virgil blushed lightly at the image of Roman smiling at him as he took a deep breath and laughed. He looked up only to finally notice just where he was and he lit up. Maybe Roman would like to do something. He has been fairly busy a lot. They don't walk the grounds much anymore.

He giggled as he practically ran through the hall to where he knew the study door was. He was breathless as he went to knock only to stop the second he heard the voices on the other end. His heart slowly dropped as the words filtered through the wood, his venom improved hearing making it far too easy to hear the conversation on the other end.

"Hunters were spotted to the south much closer than they've ever been." Virgil pinpointed Logan's voice and tensed hearing the words hunter.

"What about a decoy?" Virgil's pulse jumped at the sound of Roman's voice but he could tell the King was distressed. "Can they be rerouted like before?" Roman frowned as he paced about his end of the small office table he had in his study. He could feel that flux in his nerves from Virgil but his mind was far too focused on the topic to even think about it. Logan watched with a concerned eye and sighed as he shrugged.

"And who would you send for such a mission?" Roman stopped in his tracks as his eyes widened in realization. "Should you send someone who is not yourself, it's a suicide mission." Roman growled as he turned and gripped the chair glaring at the papers spread out about the table.

"I would never send someone to their death." Roman relaxed ever so slightly as his nails dug into the upholstery to help ground him. "Where was the last hunter party spotted?" Roman's voice was soft and hesitant as Logan skimmed through his notes. 

"That would be Trent. According to the information they were able to get back to us... it was of substantial size as well."

"Did the vampire make it?" Virgil's eyes shot wide as everything in him just died. His blood went cold. Who knew the absence of sound could chill something to its core far faster and more efficient than even liquid nitrogen. He shivered as this mass of guilt blossomed in his chest wrenching his heart to bits. "Lo-..." Roman flinched feeling that massive wash of guilt drown him and his eyes instantly went to the door in confusion. His eyes narrowed as his hand went to his shirt confused at why he suddenly felt like crying.

"Are you ok?" Logan whispered softly as Roman just nodded and cleared his throat ignoring the bond for now, even if his mind begged to check in with Virgil.

"Yea... Yeah, I'm ok." Roman shook himself out of his thoughts as he glared down at the papers again. "Have we sent anyone south that could potentially come in contact with the party?"

"A few." Roman's heart broke as he choked out his words.

"H-Have any returned?" Logan's eyes darkened as he blinked slowly and took a deep breath.

"Only one."

"SHIT!" Roman literally threw a chair at the wall as he gripped his hair tightly, his mind reeling. "The hunters... It had to be... The party got them."

"Without intel, we have no information to confirm but based on past events we can surmise... that yes. It is most likely the hunters that prevented their return." Roman clenched his jaw, the subtle ache keeping him from lashing out as his mind flurried with rage and an unknown guilt.

"We... We need to reroute them. They're getting too close to the castle. That puts too many people in danger." Logan shifted a bit putting his book under his arm as he frowned over at his angered friend.

"I must remind you the only one strong enough and therefore capable to safely complete the mission would be you-..."

"My brother." Logan's eyes shot wide as Roman suddenly spun around with this serious look that could send shivers down anyone's back. "He can. He's older than me. He's just as strong."

"You really want to call on him?"

"We don't have a choice." Virgil frowned as he leaned against the wall taking everything with a very heavy heart. He felt... He felt ashamed. He felt horrible. He... He actually hated what he was. 

"Roman, your brother didn't want anything to do with the crown." Virgil tensed up hearing the subtle twinge of fear in the advisor's voice all while Roman just laughed.

"He'll still defend his people. Call on him, Lo. We need his support with this." Virgil shook himself out of his head as he crashed, feeling his tears building in his eyes, that burning in his throat. He decided to just go. Go back to his room or something... He would only cause issues at this point. After all, it was hunters that were causing trouble. He didn't want to put Roman in a hard place. He started to walk off wiping the tears from his eyes only to stumble and knock into one of the tables for decor. A vase fell creating a loud crash that caught Roman and Logan's attention as Virgil just takes off in fear. Roman's eyes shoot wide realizing what he'd been feeling as he started to run after. 

"Logan, call him!" Roman yelled out before racing out of the room and spotting Virgil running down the hall. "VIRGIL!" Roman sped over to him, grabbing him as softly as he could making the human jerk back in shock as Roman's eyes darkened in concern. The poor human didn't know what to do. His panic was rising as his mind told him Roman would be angry. That the hunters would cause everyone to hate him even more. That there was nothing he could do. Roman squeezed his grip on Virgil's arms subtly drawing the other's attention to him as his eyes narrowed slightly. "How much did you hear?"

"E-Enough..." Virgil stuttered as he tried to fidget out of Roman's hold only making the vampire that much more concerned. "Th-The hunt-ters are causing t-trouble." Roman felt his chest drop as Virgil finally pulled himself free with a very watery smile. "D-Don't worry, R-Ro. I literally can't do anything." Roman deflated seeing the tears falling from the other's eyes completely breaking his heart. "I was just coming to see if you wanted to do anything but... You were right. You are very busy. And this is far more important than the hunter you have in custody-..."

"Virgil, you aren't a villa-"

"I'm just going to go back to my room." Roman flinched feeling the agony Virgil was in through the bond. "I don't want to distract you so... I'll see you later, Roman. I'm sorry for any... trouble I've caused you." 

"Virgil, wait..." Roman just stood there stunned as he watched Virgil slowly moped down the hall. "Virgil." Roman frowned as he pressed a hand to his check utterly hating the emotions being passed through the bond. He wanted to take them all away from him but he knew Virgil was right. This was important. And he couldn't just ignore his duties as King because the human he's grown so attached to was hurting. "Logan!"

"Yes." Roman's eyes flashed as he just stared off after Virgil, not even bothering to look back at his advisor. 

"You've checked to see the outcome of this right?" Logan's eyes narrowed subtly as he pushed his glasses closer to his face. "Virgil overhearing us... anything come of it?"

"As of right now, there is no indication that this event will cause trouble." Roman nodded as Logan walked out and stood beside him. "There are no plans for betrayal from your pet."

"He's not a pet." Roman cut in before turning around to head back into his study. "Call Remus. We need him here."