18

"So... just... what exactly did you mean by 'seeing' Roman?" Virgil asked softly as he slowly sat down on the chair across from Patton who giggled just happy Virgil was taking the time to hear him out.

"Well... Roman's a very soft man."

"That's not exactly what I would use to describe him."  Patton's eyes narrowed a Virgil leaned back lazily and crossed his arms with a pout. "Angry... Blunt... Flirty... Irritating..."

"That's only because just like everyone, he has layers... his different faces." Virgil frowned as Patton smiled trying to coax the other to relax. "You've only seen the angry protective side of him."

"Not... not really." Virgil muttered remember the pained expression Roman had begging him not to leave him. Virgil huffed sadly as he shook his head. "Just... go on."

"As I was saying... Roman is a very soft man. He can be very selfless." Virgil shot him a confused look as Patton just chuckled and pointed at himself. "I mean just take the deal he made with me and Logan. He offered to let Logan and I feed off him. He'd give us shelter and protection and all we had to do was work for him. That's a lot for something that could be so little. He can be really sweet and gentle if given the chance." Virgil's eyes darkened as Patton's voice softened clearly a bit desperate for the other to actually listen to him and not just 'hear' what he's saying. "He's a really good friend when allowed to be."

"That's nice and all but that's not exactly what I've seen." Patton frowned as Virgil groaned in annoyance, running a hand through his hair. "I mean... yes, Roman has been at times kinder than I'd imagine a vampire to be. But I don't really think that's HIM but that... that thing we have.. I just don't see how a Sanguine vamp can be 'gentle' with anything."

"There's the boy." Virgil stopped short as Patton's voice made the air go silent.

"What boy?"

"The hunter boy." Virgil's eyes widened in horror only to get very confused seeing the calm smile the other was giving him.

"What hunter boy?!"

"Roman had brought a hunter child home with him one night." Virgil's chest twinged in panic as Patton stared off at nothing. "No one was allowed near him. No one was allowed to mess with him. Roman cared for the child himself and took great pride in doing so. He was so happy with the child, it honestly surprised me how brightly he smiled with him."

"What happened to his parents?" The way Patton paled was enough confirmation as Virgil just scoffed and leaned into himself conflicted about everything. "He killed them?"

"Yes. He did." Patton's eyes darkened as Virgil seemed to deflate with this new information. "They were hunters, Virgil. You know better than anyone what they are like and how they are with our kind. Even still he couldn't just leave the child stranded."

"Why didn't he just kill the child then?" Virgil hissed out as his conflicted emotions started to overwhelm him.

"That's not Roman. That's not the person he is." Virgil curled up into himself as he just tried to work through it all. Patton smiled sadly feeling the intense emotions overloading him. "I'll let you breathe a bit kiddo but... if you want to know more I'd ask Roman himself. I'm sure he'd tell you. He really did love that boy."

Virgil threw his arms down as he stared blankly at nothing. His mind was reeling. He couldn't breathe. He could feel his throat closing upon him as his tears burned in him. He needed to know. He couldn't ignore it. He just... His mind latched onto Roman being a vampire. That of course he would do something like that but.... but...

Gods, did he want to see him differently. He needed to hear it from him.

"ROMAN!" Virgil yelled out the second he spotted him in the hall. He had been searching for a while and nothing, until he had nearly given up. Roman's head jerked up in surprise as Virgil ran over and cursed his mind's inability to handle turbulent emotions. "R-Ro..."

"I..." Roman tensed, his hand going to his chest feeling the overwhelming pressure through the bond. "Love, I'd love to help. Really, I would but..." Roman's face filled with guilt as he shook his head. "I can't. I'm really busy right now. I'm sorry..."

"I want to know about the hunter boy." Roman's face fell instantly as Virgil met his gaze with a look of seriousness that only crashed seeing the expression Roman got just at the mention of it. 

"Can you... Can you repeat that?" Virgil grimaced as the anxiety burned through him as he just curled up. "Did you just ask..."

"P-Patton told me about him. I uh..." Roman's eyes filled with sadness as Virgil just fidgeted. "I want to know more about the hunter child."

"That's what I thought you said." Roman sighed as he raked a hand through his hair. His eyes twitched as he groaned and snapped making one of the servents run over to him with a worried look. "Can you please inform Logan that I will be a bit late." Virgil's eyes darted up in shock as Roman forced his words through his teeth. "I have matters I must attend to."

"As you wish, sir." Virgil blinked and the servent was gone, speeding off to relay the message, as Roman deflated with a very sad expression. 

"Come." Virgil jumped as Roman turned away and gestured for him to follow. "I'd prefer it if we spoke about this in private. No one was really made aware of certain... information."