91

"Hello, My love." Roman placed a soft on Virgil's hair before spinning about to do the same to Quin. "My son... how are you both?"

"I'm good, Hun. I spent most of the day with Janus working on how to integrate the wolves." Roman's eyes shined as he turned to Quin who smiled as started to sign fast in his excitement, not that Roman couldn't keep up.

'Patton and I spent the day together.' He giggled softly as Roman nodded along just happy to see Quin enjoying himself more. 'We walked the gardens and then baked some. Then Logan came to get me for some lessons.'

'I bet he was teaching you boring prince duties, wasn't he?' Roman signed back making Virgil's eyes light up. They had done this before where Roman and Quin would just go back and forth signing to each other. Roman said he preferred to sign to Quin when they were having a conversation to make it easier on the younger and not make him feel pressured into talking, especially considering Virgil didn't know when the last time Quin spoke was. To be honest, Virgil didn't even know if Quin COULD speak anymore. He didn't care, but seeing that Roman was just so accepting of the youngest just made him love that silly royal all the more. 

Virgil let the two slip into their soundless conversation as he just leaned back against his chair with a smile. It was almost 3 years since this all started. 3 years since he himself was a hunter... back when Roman was only held back from killing him because of the blood bond. Back when Virgil himself was trying to kill Roman. 3 years... and now he's a vampire, mated to that very vampire. He's married... he's a king. He was raised believing his duty was to the hunter cause. His destiny was to destroy the vampire race. That he was their hidden weapon against the unnatural. It took just 3 years to discover what his real purpose was... 3 years and he learned his place was at Roman's side. His job was to care for his mate, his son, and his people. He was never meant to kill vampires. He was meant to save them.

Virgil stared down at his hands as his eyes darkened. His mind turned to all the stories he'd been told of his parents. He rarely ever thought about them. His mother... his father... they meant nothing to him. He didn't have a single thing for him to latch on to about them. Virgil wasn't mournful or upset at all. Even in knowing it was his mate who killed them because he knew why Roman had done it. No. He didn't care about them at all. They were hunters just like the rest of them. No... the reason he couldn't stop thinking about them was simply with what day it was going to be. Today was December 18th... which meant tomorrow...

Tomorrow was the day Virgil was born.

"Hey boys?" Virgil called out seeing the two stopped short instantly making him chuckle at their similar puppy-like looks of confusion. "Why don't we go outside and play in the snow? It's been forever since I was ever allowed." Quin's eyes shined with awe and hope as he started rubbing his hand, flat against his chest, in circles. "Of course, Quin. Ro? What about-..." Virgil squealed as he was suddenly lifted into the air as Roman picked him up using his vampiric speed. "Roman." He whined playfully only to melt into the other who kissed him softly with a hum.

"It's been so long since I've done it myself." Roman admitted breathlessly as he stared into those violet eyes. "I believe it was when I was human... with my daughter." Quin's eyes narrowed in confusion only to frown seeing the pain in Roman's eyes. 

"They may be gone... but you have us." Roman's eyes slipped shut as he nuzzled into Virgil more, who he hadn't let down yet. 

"I thank the gods for it every day." Roman started laughing as he looked over to see Quin pulling on his shirt pointing off towards the door. "Yes. Yes... We're going." He let Virgil stand on his own as Quin jumped happily speeding off to the door as if time was racing far too quickly for him. "Onward my lovelies!" Roman sang as Quin took off running. "Well isn't he excited."

"We weren't allowed to do much as children." Roman's eyes darkened as Virgil's voice filtered through the air. "Most hunter kids were treated as soldiers from their 5th birthday. Playing in the snow... it wasn't something anyone ever did. My guardian... he used it as training. Allowed me to play in the snow and to have fun as long as I was still learning and thus... not giving me any special treatment... even though he was."

"He? But I thought..."

"Ryzan was only one of my mentors." Virgil stopped short just before the open front doors seeing Quin running around catching as much snow as he could with his speed watching it all accumulate and grow before anything could ever melt. "She and Harman took me in once I was brought back to the base. They were the only parents I ever really knew. Even as young as I was... I never liked Ryzan. I never trusted her. I knew if she ever found my mother's book she would have burned it because of the message you had left me. I was not her son. I was just another project for her. A failed one." Roman gently brushed Virgil's hair back, making the younger smile and lean into his touch. "Harman... he was kind. He did care for me. I knew he did. He listened to everything I said even when I started to go on tangents about my confusion over just what hunters were doing. He never yelled. He never lectured me. He never scared me. I was his son and I knew it. I feel bad."

"Bad? How?"

"I feel like... in turning I've betrayed him." Virgil winced feeling that sharp pain in his chest from the bond knowing what he had said had hurt Roman. "I don't regret it, Roman. I promise. I love what I am."

"But you just said..."

"Ryzan got in my head. While I was chained up she brought up Harman. It hurt. He was kind and caring. He treated me like an actual kid and not just the next generation of hunters. He treated me as a son and she made it seem that just being with you was a betrayal to him." The sharp pain only grew more making Virgil sigh as he leaned against his loves chest. "She can go stuff her thoughts up her ghostly ass in the underworld with Cerberuses fucking claw. I don't care. I love you. I don't regret a thing. I just... I wish I was never a hunter. I wish he was never a hunter. I wish... I wish Quin was never a hunter. I mean look at him." 

"He's adorable." Roman purred as hugged Virgil closer, slowly leading the two further out as Quin danced about in the snow, his arms completely covered making him look like he was throwing sparkles everywhere. He had this bright beaming smile on his face that just made him glow. He looked like the child he never got the chance to be. "Your past is your past. There is nothing we can do to change anything that's happened or the choices either of us have made. But in making those choices... it led us here. Every scar... every injury.. every tear we've shed brought us to this very moment. And as much as I hate thinking about all the agony you two have experienced... standing here with you two... with my family makes me the happiest I have ever been. Everything led us to each other."

"You're going to leave us." Virgil's voice choked out very dulled and pained as Roman squeezed him against him more. Roman just smiled as he pressed his lips against Virgil's hair.

"The gods have their reasons for the paths they create for us. And sure the fates may cut my lifeline far shorter than yours or Quins but as I've stated. If it's for my family I will not hesitate... I'd cut the line myself." Virgil grimaced as he shook his head not wanting to deal with it all. "I know you hate it but... I've already accepted my death, Virgil. You, Logan, and I might be the only ones who know what is to come but that's for the best. Let's let everyone live for just a while longer before the shit hits the fan." Roman pulled away from Virgil as he clapped loudly making Quin jump with a grin. Roman quickly made himself a snowball with this challenging look in his eyes as Quin giggled and ran off. "Get back here!" Virgil watched as the two ran around throwing snowballs at each other and he sighed. Roman was right. They didn't even know when it was going to happen. They needed to enjoy the days they had left together. Virgil was just concerned... 

If Roman would lose all sense of living if he lost Virgil...
Virgil would lose all sense of himself.
Virgil was honestly scared over what he might do when Roman finally did die.

"Alright, you two!" Virgil called out loudly as he made a snowball himself, grinning at the burst of playfulness burning through the bond. "A new challenger has joined the battle."