43

"So why did you insist on following me?" Roman finally asked as the two made their way through the woods. "Not that I don't appreciate the change in mood towards me but..."

"What's with the sudden change towards Virgil?" Roman froze instantly, his face pale, as he desperately tried to hide his shaking hands. Emile's eyes narrowed feeling the emotions swirl around him and his worry only grew. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Roman's jaw was locked as he avoided his gaze completely.

"Roman... You went from calling him 'My love' and 'Hun' to treating him as a child. You don't think we wouldn't notice that?" Roman growled as he turned away and just tried to refocus on hunting.

"Again..." His eyes darkened as that burn in his throat came back... those unshed tears causing even more pain. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're lying. When you first arrived you treated him as if he was the most important thing in your life-..."

"He IS the most important thing in my life!" Roman cut in instantly, making Emile frown at the emotions that only grew around the vampire. "He means everything to me."

"Then why are you suddenly treated him like a child?" Roman frowned as Emile tried to give him a reassuring look. "I thought... I thought you loved him." Roman flinched as everything just froze up. "You treated him as if your lover. Always so romantic and caring... and now..."

"I... I do-..." Roman choked as he shook his head and forced himself to not let his voice shake. "I don't love him... like that."

"You're lying... again. Why?" Roman walked off leaving Emile there who smiled sadly over everything. "Running away from me isn't going to fix your problems, Roman. You need to talk about them."

"There aren't any problems to talk about." Roman growled angrily as he shot a glare back at the witch. "And if you're going to continue to be loud then please leave. I'm supposed to be hunting."

"You're a vampire, Roman. If you truly wanted to catch something... you would do so regardless of my volume level." Emile quickly followed after noticing Roman hadn't stopped his storming off. "Did something happen between you and Virgil?"

"Nothing is wrong, Emile. You just thought wrong. I don't love him like that. So just..." Roman hesitated as his hand went to his chest. Tears pricked at his eyes as Emile's sad smile only grew. "Just, please... Leave well enough alone. It's better this way."

"Better for who? Because right now, all I'm seeing are two very confused and upset men." Roman's eyes darkened as his hand fell to his side. "Roman, I'm a doctor. I was a therapist before anything else. You CAN talk to me. What is wrong?"

"I..." Roman crashed as he glanced back to see the seriousness in Emile's eyes only furthering to egg him on. "I don't want Virgil to turn." Roman was gone in a blink leaving Emile there in the wake of his words and confusion.

"Turn? What..." Emile blinked finally noticing he was gone and just crashed. "Where did he go?"

"Fuck..." Roman grunted as he fell back in annoyance over himself. "Damn it, Romulus. You're a fucking Roman. Stop being so weak." His eyes darted about the place trying to pick up the scents of animals nearby. "This is ridiculous."

"Finally!" Roman jumped up in shock as he spun around to see a panting Emile standing there. "I found you."

"The point was for you NOT to." Roman growled only making Emile laugh. "Besides... I'm pretty sure you don't want to see me feed..."

"Why?" Roman frowned in confusion as Emile quirked a brow at him. "I told you I don't hate your kind, and I'm not going to judge you either. You can't help that you need blood. I just don't trust all the hostility and violence... and to be completely honest... my concern is mostly for Remy. He's had some fairly bad experiences with a few vampires." 

"I'm... I'm sorry about that. There are a few bad ones as with any species but... It's still upsetting to hear." Emile nodded sadly as Roman groaned as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Are you sure? I don't want to cause any... discomfort."

"It's fine Roman. Besides, we still need to talk." Roman rolled his eyes as he vanished again but this time Emile didn't move. He didn't have to. Within seconds, Roman was back with a rabbit in his hands, and this almost uncomfortable look in his eyes. He plopped onto the ground with a grimace as he just sat there for a while only serving to concern Emile more. "Roman?"

"I'm fine. Just... just preparing myself." Emile's eyes narrowed in confusion as Roman went to bite the rabbit only to hesitate and clearly tense up. "This..." Roman muttered before just clamming up. This is for Virgil. He had to do this. The more blood he drank outside of his feedings the less he would need to take from the other. He had to get used to this again. He bit down and already wanted to gag. Emile could see the way Roman paled the second he did. 

"Roman, don't force your-..." Roman reeled back with a choked sound as he spit out some of the blood and just collapsed into the dirt. "...self. Roman?"

"I'm fine. It just tastes like ash." Roman glanced at the rabbit before sitting up again and just sighing. "Good thing is I managed to actually swallow some... I just couldn't continue." Emile sat down beside the vampire with a worried look in his eyes as Roman just shrugged. "I'll be ok. I made a promise to Virgil. Even if I don't want to... It's just... I don't want to hurt him, Emile. He means the world to me. I... I care for him."

"Why the sudden change?" Roman's eyes only fell as smiled sadly and shook his head.

"I don't want him to turn." Emile only frowned as Roman started to cry. "I can't turn him. I won't... I refuse to risk it."

"Why?" Roman shot Emile a confused look as he only just smiled. "I want to know what you're feeling Roman. You say you care about him yet you're pulling away."

"I DO care..."

"Than why-..." Roman snapped with a sudden grown only making Emile's eyes flash as the vampire's tears fell more.

"Because all I want is for him to be happy, healthy, and safe!" Roman broke down completely as he curled up into his knees and cried. "If I want that... I CAN'T turn him. I would only be taking all that way from him." Emile's face fell as Roman shook beside him. "He won't be happy. He won't be healthy or safe. He'll only end up hurt and that's IF he actually turns. I don't want to kill him just to try. I... I can't turn him. I won't do it." Roman forced himself to relax as he looked up at the sky and smiled. "I just can't do it." He pushed himself up and started back for the house. He was done hunting anyway. Emile just watched with a sad expression as Roman waved back at him sadly. "Like I said... It's better this way."