25

TW~ Mentions of rape but it's just one sentence and about history nothing now

"It's so pretty. I've never seen so many roses..." Virgil laughed as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Actually... I've never seen a rose so..."

"I'm glad you find them pleasant." Virgil chuckled softly as Roman held him from behind and smiled. "Roses were often in gardens in my time. But I have to admit to a fondness for amaranth... even if it's more a weed than anything."

"Amaranth?" Roman nodded as he nuzzled his nose into Virgil's shoulder with a subconscious breath. "What's that?"

"Well, where I'm from it was a burgundy or purple-like colored flower that was rumored to never fade or die... it symbolized immortality. I also favored the Gladioli as well. The flower of the gladiators."

"Gladiators? That..." Roman's quirked a brow as Virgil tried to suppress a giggle. "That's actually funny."

"Why?" Virgil giggled louder as he wrapped his arms around Roman's arms, which he had around his waist.

"Well because your name is Roman and gladiators were from Ancient Rome... thus Roman." Roman's eyes narrowed as he squeezed Virgil tighter to him a bit.

"Technically most Gladiators were actually slaves or prisoners thus meaning they were not Roman... not natively. Not all as some Roman men were willing participants but still many none the less were not. Putting a prisoner into the arena was a typical past time for prisoners of war until they were finally executed. Although they were usually of higher nobility prisoners not anything like the common solder or criminal." Virgil tensed in the other's arms as Roman smirked into him lightly. "But seeing them fight to survive... being strong enough to best their opponent... even if it wasn't always to the death."

"Wait..." Roman faltered as Virgil spun around with a confused look actually making Roman worried who had never actually ever really stated where he was from definitively. "Are you actually from Rome?"

"Roma? I mean..." Roman frowned as he ran his hand through his hair and gave a shaky smile. "Would that be so surprising? I am very old."

"It explains the accent at least." Virgil teased a bit making Roman flush and relax. "You're from Rome. Ancient Rome... Holy hell. That also explains the mentions of gods and why they're all Roman, like Mars. See I told you I would feel like an idiot once I found out. I should have known." Virgil laughed at himself completely unaware of the slight grimace Roman gave. "Who exactly are you though? There is no way your just a random citizen of Rome when you even said people thought your father wa-..."

"Can we maybe return to walking the gardens?" Virgil's eyes shot up finally noticing how uncomfortable his vampire was and quickly nodded. "Thank you."

"Roman the Roman..." Virgil giggled softly as they walked making Roman roll his eyes with a subtle smile.

"I'm glad you find it so humorous, My Dear."

"Only a little. Don't think I haven't noticed how uncomfortable about your past." Roman paled as Virgil took his hand to help reassure him. "It doesn't matter what you've done in the past Roman, just what you do now. You said it yourself... morals back then weren't so black and white. I mean, Romulus literally had his people kidnap and rape women from another kingdom they had over as guests." Roman felt his heart completely shatter as he slowed down making Virgil frowned at the sudden show of emotion. "Ro? You ok?"

"Y-Yea. Just... wasn't expecting you to bring him up." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he rubbed his thumb over Roman's hand.

"Did you know him?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Virgil flinched slightly but nodded knowing better than to press.

"I'm sorry." Roman's eyes flashed as he quickly pulled Virgil in.

"No. No, it's ok. Don't feel bad. I'm ok, really." Roman smiled as he caressed Virgil's cheek and smiled. "It just caught me off guard. I'm not upset. Let's just... change the subject?" Virgil nodded as Roman's smile fell seeing how teary Virgil's eyes were. "Love, really, I'm ok-..."

"Did you ever think of me?" Roman completely froze up in confusion making Virgil sigh as he leaned against the other. "I mean... little me... the little boy you took in... did you ever think about me after you gave me up or did you just move on?"

"I never just moved on, Virgil. Sure I forgot your name but you know how much even that upset me. I never just forgot you." Virgil frowned as Roman gently nudged him to look back up at him. "The bear... The one I gave you the day I told you about it all... That's something I gave you when you were little and I still had it. I just...When I gave you up I couldn't bear to see it any longer so I put it in storage but... I couldn't just get rid of it."

"Why?"

"Virgil, I was a father." Virgil's eyes flashed feeling his heart drop at the admission as he slowly pushed himself out of Roman's arms. "Caring for a child again only to have to give them up... it was heartbreaking. But... I knew it was for the better." Roman looked away as he hugged himself wanting nothing more than to hold Virgil still but the other left his embrace for a reason. "I didn't have a choice, If I wanted to keep you safe. Even with all your begging and how it tore me apart... I wouldn't change my decision because it was what was best for you. I would have done anything to keep you safe, Love." Roman's heart dropped feeling that slight pain in his chest as Virgil just stared sadly at the ground. Roman groaned as he reached out to hold his arms, needing that contact to remind him he was still there, as he brushed his thumb over the other gently. "It hasn't changed any... I would still do anything to protect you. You know that right?"

"Roman-..."

"Our reunion might not have been favorable but we are back together." Roman quickly cut him off not liking the pain in his chest and how his hands trembled like crazy. "I'm not letting you go again." Virgil's eyes darted up noticing the shaking as he realized what was happening. "I can't let you go again." Virgil moved to hold Roman's arms instead making the other confused as the human just shook his head.

"Roman I'm not going anywhere." Virgil tried to reassure him knowing that being separated from him only hurts Roman great.

"I-I'm sorry. I-i know. Let's just forget it-..."

"No. No, don't do that." Virgil lulled as he watched the tears build in roman's eyes. "Talk to me, Ro. Explain it to me. I don't have the gift you do. I can't feel your emotions. You have to tell me them."

"I just... don't want you to run off."

"I'm not going anywhe-..."

"Not by choice." Roman cut in making Virgil stop short in surprise.

"What do you mean?" Roman groaned as his hands only shook worse making Virgil's concern grow. "Roman, talk to me."

"You don't really WANT to be here." Virgil's eyes widened as Roman grimaced under the pain in his chest. "I forced you to be here and now you can't leave because of the bond." Roman couldn't stop the whimper that tore through his lips. "You don't want to be here. You never did."

"Roman I..." Roman flinched as his breathing slowly went a bit sporadic making Virgil tense with massive worry. "Roman, at the moment, I really don't know what I want." Roman frowned subtly as Virgil gripped his arms tighter. "The blood bond and figuring out that you were my friend from so long ago... things have changed. I promise you. I'm not going anywhere."

"Because you don't have a choice!" Roman snapped his eyes glowing that beautiful scarlet that broke Virgil's heart. "I'm terrified." Roman pulled his arms free from the other as he just stood there with a broken look in his eyes. "I'm scared the second you get the opportunity your going to run back the hunters. I'm not paying attention as much anymore, Virgil. I'm distracted. I'm so busy I just... I don't want to turn around and find you gone." 

"Roman, listen to me..." Virgil took Roman's hand in his again before placing it over his heart with a sad smile, making Roman give him this confused look. "I am not going anywhere." ROman's eyes shot wide feeling the flurry of emotions through the bond that Virgil was feeding him. His tears fell as he smiled and just nodded finally believing what he was trying to tell him. "I'm not leaving you. I'm not going back to the hunter."

"Thank you."