17

"Did you have a good day?" Virgil hesitated slightly, his hand just moments from his mouth, as Roman's voice filtered through the air. The vampire chuckled seeing the blush to the human's cheeks. "What? I merely asked if you had a good day."

"I know. It's just... Uh..." Virgil coughed as he sat himself up straighter and smiled awkwardly. "You sounded too much like a husband for a second. It caught me off guard."

"I am a husband... or at least I was when I was human." Virgil frowned seeing the subtle look of pain Roman had before shaking his head and smiling again. "Even still, you did not answer... how was your day?"

"It was good." Virgil mumbled anxiously as he turned back to his food ignoring the way Roman just smiled at him. "I spoke to Patton today."

"Oh. I do hope you two made amends. I know it's not exactly uh... easy considering but it would make me happy to know you and my friends get along." Virgil nodded as Roman turned to his own plate. He picked up the bread and smiled as he broke it apart gently dipping it into his wine only to pause seeing the shocked look in Virgil's eyes. "What?" Virgil was flabbergasted as he watched Roman nibble on it without even the slightest disgust. Virgil knew it was wine and not blood. He could smell it to know it was just red wine but... How... 

"How are you eating that?"

"What, the bread?" Roman frowned in confusion as Virgil just shook his head.

"No, I mean... You dunked it in the wine. How are you eating it like THAT?" Roman just laughed as he realized just what the problem was.

"I'm sorry." Roman giggled endlessly as he just dunked his bread again and munched away. "I forgot it's not the custom to do so anymore. Back at home, we did it all the time... We had bread with nearly every meal. Some, like me, used wine, but my brother likes to spread salt all over it."

"I just... Your bread's going to get soggy." Roman rolled his eyes playfully as Virgil watched him dunk another piece. "Huh... You know what... to each their own." Virgil mumbled as he broke his own bread to try it making Roman's eyes widen. Virgil giggled lightly as the taste spread through his mouth. "It tastes weird." Virgil wiped his mouth as he scrunched his face up. "But it's not bad if you just ignore the sogginess of it."

"Yes well, again back in my time bread was a lot course... thicker." Roman just stared at the other in awe as Virgil finished up his bread. "You didn't have to dip your own. I understood my... habits aren't particularly seen much nowadays."

"You can't judge something until you've tried it yourself." Virgil spoke factually making Roman smiled more.

"You surprise me sometimes, Virgil. From the blood tea to this... it's never a dull moment." Virgil laughed as started to dig into his beans and veggies. He almost didn't notice the smell of blood. His eyes darted up to see Roman shaking his head again, like usual, only this time Virgil dropped his silverware with a clang, startling all of them.

"Roman..." Roman tensed as he looked back at his own plate making Virgil sigh. "Whatever. Do what you want but if you end up craved again..."

"Ok." Roman smiled softly as he gently pushed his one empty cup closer to the servant holding the pitcher. Virgil watched the blood pour into the glass, it's deep and dark red as the thick liquid coated the ends. The scent of it wafted through the air making him frown as he glanced up to see the way Roman's eyes dilated badly at it. "Thank you." Roman whispered as he waved the servant off who just nodded and rushed away. Virgil watched quietly as he ate, subtly glancing up as Roman held the glass in his hand and just stared into its darkness. Virgil could see the hesitation in the other's eyes as Roman gently placed the cup to his lips, painting them red. His eyes fluttered shut as he took that first sip only... he didn't hum or blush, or react much at all to the blood like he would with Virgil's. "Sorry." He choked out noticing how Virgil had just stopped and stared at nothing in thought. He gently tapped the red off his lips as Virgil shook his head.

"For what? I was just... thinking." Roman quirked a brow as he, with much hesitation, dipped a small bit of bread into the blood this time instead of the wine. "Why is it that you react to my blood so differently?" Roman paled as he started to choke on his bread only making Virgil concerned until Roman nearly downed his wine just to stop coughing.

"What?"

"I just... I... uh... Well..." Virgil took a deep breath to try and calm himself down as he shrugged. "You'll blush or hum when you so much as smell me. You literally sang when you fed off me. But when you drank that you just fluttered your eyes."

"You're blood is much sweeter." Virgil frowned as Roman smiled and leaned his head against his hand staring off at him while getting lost in his thoughts. "It's a delicacy. Much richer and nicer than anything I've ever had. Pure perfection..." Roman hummed just at the memory of it making Virgil flush in his seat. "I'm addicted that's for sure. I didn't even want that blood to be honest because I knew it wouldn't taste like you." Virgil's heart dropped as Roman sighed longly his eyes burning into the glass in front of him. "I'm completely obsessed."

"That... That's what I was worried about." Virgil muttered to himself but Roman still caught it as he quirked a brow not that Virgil noticed. "Go ahead and finish eating, Ro. I don't want to be waiting for you all night." Virgil quickly cut back as he tried to hide what he was feeling with a false sense of annoyance, seeing how concerned Roman was. 

"If you say so, Love."

"Patton!" The young vampire jumped as Virgil slammed his hand down on the table he was currently dusting. 

"Y-Yes..." He studdered out confused as Virgil groaned and fell back against the wall. "Is there something you need?"

"You said I should get to learn about Roman... right?" Patton's eyes shined as he nodded statically, feeling the embarrassment but determination coming from the other. "Well... I want to. But... I just... I don't know where to even start so... Can you tell me about him?" Patton squealed joyously as he grabbed Virgil's hand and bounced. 

"Of course, Kiddo. Let's go somewhere we can sit and chat."