58

"That's it, Ro." Virgil smiled sadly as he held the vampire close while he fed. His whole body felt like it was shaking and he was certain Roman could tell, seeing as how the vampire moved to hold him supportively instead of how he normally held him. Virgil felt the king unlatch from him but neither moved an inch as Roman shifted Virgil's weight around so that he was literally holding the younger up. 

"Virgil?"

"I'm ok." Virgil tried to ignore the worried look Roman gave him as he leaned his back against the other's chest. He was going to have to move soon. He could already feel his body wanting to reject the excess venom. "Have you eaten enough?"

"I'm not going to take more when your body's shaking like it is." Virgil sighed as he just nodded and started to get up only for Roman to hold him tighter not letting him move. "Don't go. You're still shaking."

"Roman, let me go." Roman flinched at the sharp tone the fae had before releasing his grip and letting Virgil stand up. Virgil swayed a bit before fixing himself and starting to walk off just as Roman reacted and grabbed his hand stopping him yet again. "Roman-..."

"Did I take too much?" Virgil hesitated, hearing the subtle whine in his loves voice, and shook his head only making Roman frown more as the concern only grew. "Virgil..." Roman's heart clenched in his chest as Virgil met his gaze and he was forced to look into those light purple eyes. Purple... Purple not blue. Virgil's eyes used to be a nice light blue. "What's wrong?"

"Would you rather watch me die..." Roman let Virgil's hand go the second he heard the start of that oh so familiar question. "... that turn me?"

"Not this again. Damn it, Virgil. I already told you I can't do this anymore." Virgil just smiled as he nodded gesturing back at the king with this defeated look in his eyes. 

"That's what's wrong." He tried to leave again only for Roman to panic and jump up with this desperation written all over him.

"Why is it so wrong that I don't want you to turn?"

"Ro-..."

"NO!" Roman yelled as he froze up in shock over all the emotions running through him. The staff working around them all tensed before just going about their business though Virgil could see how Patton stopped with this worried gaze. "I can't do it, Virgil. I can't turn you. I can't do that to you. Why is that so wrong?"

"IT'S BECAUSE I'M DYING!" Virgil finally snapped, eyes filled with tears, as he jumped back to see how everyone in the room just froze up. He swallowed his panic as he turned back to Roman only to crash seeing the absolute horror in those now glowing scarlet eyes. "I-..."

"I'm sorry..." Roman spoke out with a monotone near robotic tone clearly lost in everything as Virgil flinched quite harshly over it. "Can you repeat that please?"

"I'm dying, Roman." Roman stumbled back into the couch crashing as his tears fell like waterfalls against his cheeks. "I'm dying."

"How?" Roman couldn't even meet Virgil's eyes as he spiraled endlessly down his incessant thoughts. "How are you... I... I haven't tasted ANYTHING from your blood. You're not sick. SO HOW ARE YOU DYING?!"

"That's exactly WHY I'm dying, Roman." Virgil laughed sadly breaking Roman all the more as he just hugged his arm to his side. "Why is it that no other vampire but you can bite me?"

"Your... Your body ret-tains the v-venom." Roman started to struggle with his breathing as his panic started to take over. "Your body will reject it i-if it doesn't mix."

"And what normally kills the person vampires will bite?" Roman frowned as he just shook his head.

"Blood loss." Virgil groaned as he crossed his arms in annoyance.

"Ok. Let's say blood loss isn't an issue. What other thing would kill them from the bite?" Roman's face fell instantly as he finally met Virgil's gaze with one of heartbreak and grief.

"The venom." Virgil smiled as he nodded giving Roman some time to let it sink in before he continued.

"My own blood has been slowly killing me since I was 3." Roman completely broke down curling up into himself, shocking all the staff around them before Patton swiftly pushed them all out of the room.

"I've been killing you?" Virgil stopped short, his eyes narrowing slightly as Roman choked unable to catch his breath. "Virgil, have I been killing you?"

"Roman, stop. Don't think about it that way-..." Roman's head snapped up with a very anguished growl tearing at Virgil's heart.

"HAVE. I. BEEN. KILLING. YOU?!"

"Yes." The whole room turned to ice as Virgil looked away unable to take the pain in Roman's broken expression. "Every bite adds more venom which speeds up the process. But Roman... It's not your fault." Roman just gave a heartwrenching laugh as Virgil shook his head. "It's not your fault. I made you promise to feed. I made that choice. I willingly chose to shorten my life to make sure you were fed. I told you..." Roman's eyes darkened as Virgil clenched his fists in desperation. "I would do ANYTHING to make sure you were cared for. I could not sit there and watch as you starved yourself."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Virgil scoffed as he rolled his eyes with a shrug.

"You wouldn't have fed if I did." Roman paled as the realization of how true it was hit him. "I love you so much... I would rather die than risk you being hurt or starve. I couldn't watch YOU die... and yet you would have no qualms watching me die." Virgil stormed over as Roman jumped up screaming.

"THAT ISN'T FAIR!" Roman completely shattered as he gripped his chest in agony. "I LOVE YOU!" Patton raced over just in time to catch the king before he could fall. "I... I love... I..." Roman broke down in Patton's arms who just rubbed his back as he stared off in the direction Virgil had stormed off in. "I love him. I love him too much to curse him. I... Patton, I don't know what to do."

"I'm afraid I can't help you here, Kiddo. I don't know the answer to give you." Roman only cried louder as Patton pulled him in tighter. "All I do know is, you both made your choices. All that's left now is to live with them."